July 24, 2017
THE FLATS – As the 2017 summer rolls into August, so are a handful of Yellow Jackets in a number of summer collegiate baseball leagues across the nation.
Here is a complete list of where the Jackets are playing this summer:
Alaska Baseball League
- Micah Carpenter, Anchorage Bucs – Has pitched in nine games, making four starts. He is 1-2 with two saves, a 5.53 ERA and 19 strikeouts over 27.2 innings pitched. He was named to the American All-Star Team for the 2017 Alaska Baseball League All-Star Game.
- Robert Winborne, Anchorage Bucs – Has appeared in 17 games out of the bullpen, recording two wins and two saves. He is 2-1 on the summer with two saves, a 1.52 ERA and 19 strikeouts over 17.2 innings on the mound. He was named to the American All-Star Team for the 2017 Alaska Baseball League All-Star Game.
Cape Cod Baseball League
- Joey Bart, Harwich Mariners – Stepped away from the Mariners to play with the USA Baseball team as part of their training camp roster with a chance to earn a spot on their Collegiate National Team. For the Mariners, he has played in eight games and is hitting .167 (5-for-30) with two doubles, a walk, an RBI and a run scored. He has also been hit by a pitch twice. He has not played since July 10, as he recovers from an injury.
Coastal Plain League
- Jake Lee, Holly Springs Salamanders – Has made five starts on the summer, which includes a complete game win. He is 2-1 with a 6.00 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 24.0 innings of action.
- Brandt Stallings, Lexington County Blowfish – Made the transition from the Cape Cod League to the Coastal Plain League in the first week of July. Is hitting .154 (4-for-26) with two RBIs in 10 games with the Blowfish. He is also 3-for-3 in the stolen base department.
- Connor Thomas, Lexington County Blowfish – Has made six starts on the mound and appeared in seven games overall for the Blowfish. The lefty is 2-3 with a 5.50 ERA. He has struck out 48 batters in 34.1 innings of work.
- Austin Wilhite, Lexington County Blowfish – Made his debut in early July for the Blowfish. Hitting .300 (12-for-40) with a a triple, three doubles, five walks, eight RBIs and five runs scored in 12 games played. On July 3, he made the Sportscenter Top 10 with this play (click here).
Florida Collegiate Summer League
- Paxton Rigby, Altamonte Springs Scorpions – Has played in 23 games. He is hitting .123 (7-for-57) with a double, 15 walks, eight RBIs and six runs scored.
- Andy Archer, Green Bay Bullfrogs – Has appeared in four games this summer, making three starts on the mound for the Bullfrogs. He is 0-1 with a 3.60 ERA and has struck out 11 batters in 15.0 innings of work.
- Garrett Gooden, Green Bay Bullfrogs – After pitching in three games out of the bullpen with the Lexington Blowfish, posting a 2.45 ERA and three strikeouts over 3.2 innings of relief work, he has moved on to play for the Bullfrogs. He has appeared in three games with one start for Green Bay. Gooden is 0-1 with an 8.30 ERA while striking out four batters over 8.2 innings of work for the Northwoods League team.
Sunbelt Baseball League
- Xzavion Curry, Brookhaven Bucks – He is hitting .275 (19-for-69) in 21 games with two home runs, one double, 10 walks, six RBIs and 10 runs scored on the summer. He has struck out one over a scoreless inning on the mound for the Bucks. Was named to the Sunbelt Baseball League East All-Star team.
- Jonathan Hughes, Brookhaven Bucks – Has made six starts on the mound for the Bucks. He is 2-4 with a 7.43 ERA and has registered 14 strikeouts in 23.0 innings of action.
- Kyle McCann, Norcross Astros – Played in 16 games for the Harrisonburg Turks before moving to the Norcross Astros in July. For the Astros, he is hitting .250 (6-for-24) with a home run, two doubles, four walks and three RBIs over eight games.
- Brenton Sanders, Purcellville Cannons – After 11 games with Harrisonburg Turks, he moved to the Purcellville Cannons where he is hitting .216 (8-for-37) with a double, five RBIs and three runs scored.
Sunbelt Baseball League
- Jake Brace, Brookhaven Bucks – He has made seven starts on the summer, including one complete game. He leads the team with 42.1 innings pitched. He is 3-3 with a 1.70 ERA and has struck out 31 batters. Was named to the Sunbelt Baseball League East All-Star team.
- Cameron Turley, Brookhaven Bucks – Has played in 15 games, going 5-for-39 (.128) with three runs scored and three RBIs at the plate on the summer.