THE FLATS — Georgia Tech women’s basketball travels to North Carolina for a 7 p.m. tilt on Thursday in Chapel Hill against the Tar Heels. Thursday’s meeting is the lone matchup between the conference foes this regular season.
THE STARTING FIVE…
1. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org or watch on ACC Network Extra.
2. North Carolina leads the all-time series against Georgia Tech 55-19, but the series is tied 2-2 over the past four meetings. Tech last won in Chapel Hill in 2012, taking a 56-54 decision on Feb. 12, 2012.
3. Georgia Tech looks to snap a two-game skid on Thursday after dropping a tough contest at Notre Dame on Sunday. Francesca Pan and Imani Tilford contributed double-figures, but it was not enough against the No. 7 Fighting Irish.
4. Francesca Pan led Georgia Tech at Notre Dame, contributing a team-best 24 points against the Fighting Irish. Pan was one point shy of matching her career-high of 25 points set back in November.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 266-173. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD…
-Move Georgia Tech to 15-11 on the season and push its road record to 4-6
-Be the second straight win over UNC
-Move the all-time series record against UNC to 55-20 in favor of the Tar Heels
-Be the first win in Chapel Hill since a 56-54 victory on Feb. 12, 2012
-Mark Coach Joseph’s 267th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 642nd all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
North Carolina led with 3:44 left to play the last time UNC and Georgia Tech met, but an 11-2 run from the Yellow Jackets to close the game sealed an 80-73 victory in McCamish Pavilion for Tech. Four Jackets finished the game in double-figure scoring numbers led by Aaliyah Whiteside with 27 points. Zaire O’Neil contributed 14 points in the decision, hitting six field goals in just 10 minutes of playing time. The Jackets shot 42.2 percent from the field and were 22-of-25 from the charity stripe. The Jackets scored 40 points in the paint.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech visited No. 7 Notre Dame to cap the home-and-home series against the Fighting Irish on Sunday. Tech conceded 90 points for just the third time this season as Notre Dame took the decision 90-69. Freshman Francesca Pan poured in a team-high 24 points, falling one point shy of matching her career-high set back in November. The Italian native reached the 24 points by hitting a career-high 10 field goals, going 10-of-23 from the field. Also reaching double-figures, junior Imani Tilford chipped in 15 points for her fifth straight game scoring in double-figures. Tech shot 40.0 percent from the floor compared to Notre Dame’s 53.5 percent efficiency.