THE FLATS — Georgia Tech women’s basketball is back in action at home on Thursday, welcoming NC State for its annual Play4Kay Game at 7 p.m. in McCamish Pavilion.
-The first 500 fans will receive a free Tech Tough pink t-shirt in support of the Play4Kay initiative
-The first 500 fans will also receive a pink rally towel
THE STARTING FIVE…
1. Georgia Tech continues play at home this week, welcoming NC State for the 68th meeting in program history. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org or watch on ACC Network Extra.
2. NC State brings a national ranking of #17 into the contest. The Wolfpack entered the poll on Jan. 2 after opening ACC play downing No. 2 Notre Dame and No. 6/7 Florida State. NC State has defeated four nationally-ranked opponents this season.
3. NC State leads the all-time series over Tech 44-23 and has taken four of the past five decisions. Tech’s last win over NC State dates back to a 79-70 decision on Feb. 17, 2013 in Raleigh, N.C.
4. Zaire O’Neil earned ACC Player of the Week on Monday after leading the Jackets past Virginia Tech, pouring in a career-high 25 points. O’Neil has scored 20+ points in two straight contests.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 266-171. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD…
-Move Georgia Tech to 15-9 on the season and push its home record to 10-4
-Push the Jackets’ win streak to two straight
-Mark the first win over NC State since 2013 and the first win at home over NC State since 2012
-Be the second win over a nationally-ranked team this season
-Mark Coach Joseph’s 267th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 642nd all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
The Jackets and Wolfpack met last season in Holliday Gymnasium on Jan. 7 with NC State taking the decision 65-57. Aaliyah Whiteside, the only Jacket reaching double-figures, unloaded for 31 points in the contest. Tech dropped its third ACC game despite winning the battle on the boards, 43-32. The Jackets secured 23 offensive rebounds, converting the boards into 24 second chance points. Katarina Vuckovic secured eight rebounds in the contest and dished out five assists, matching her career-high. NC State’s Dominique Wilson, Miah Spencer and Ashley Williams combined for 49 points, 15 rebounds, 12 assists, six steals and two blocks.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech topped Virginia Tech on Sunday to pick up its 14th win of the season, defeating the Hokies 87-81 in McCamish Pavilion. Three Jackets reached double-figures led by Zaire O’Neil with a personal-best 25 points. Imani Tilford recorded her second double-double of the season with 18 points and a career-high 12 rebounds, while junior Antonia Peresson contributed 17 points, matching her season-high hitting five treys. The Jackets won the rebounding battle 50-23, including a 22-7 edge in offensive boards that led to 22 second chance points for Tech.