THE FLATS — Georgia Tech women’s basketball is back in action this week, welcoming Mercer on Wednesday at 7 p.m. to McCamish Pavilion.
THE STARTING FIVE…
1. Georgia Tech plays game three of this four-game homestand welcoming Mercer to McCamish Pavilion on Wednesday. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
2. Georgia Tech and Mercer last met in the first round of the WNIT last season in McCamish Pavilion. The Yellow Jackets took the decision 73-56 to advance in the postseason tournament.
3. Georgia Tech has taken the last seven straight contests against Mercer dating back to 1996. Mercer’s last victory came on Feb. 27, 1996 as the Yellow Jackets have taken 14 of the past 15 meetings.
4. Freshman Chanin Scott posted an impressive performance in her first collegiate career start last weekend against Georgia State. The Charlotte, N.C., native registered career-highs of 13 points and 11 rebounds for her first career double-double.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 259-163. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 60.9 percent.
A WIN WOULD…
-Move Georgia Tech to 8-1 on the season and push its home record to 5-1
-Improve Tech’s record to 16-6 over Mercer and push its win streak to eight straight against the Bears
-Make Georgia Tech 4-0 against teams located in Georgia on the season
-Push Tech’s non-conference record under Joseph to 147-40
-Mark Coach Joseph’s 260th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 635th all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
The Yellow Jackets and Bears last met in the WNIT last season in McCamish Pavilion. Georgia Tech took the decision 73-56, advancing to meet Tulane in the postseason tournament. Four Yellow Jackets reached double-figure scoring numbers in the win led by Aaliyah Whiteside with 17 points and Roddreka Rogers with a double-double of 15 points and 15 rebounds. Katarina Vuckovic and Imani Tilford each contributed 12 points in the triumph. GT out-rebounded Mercer 50-32 in the contest.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech won its fourth game at home this season with a 73-42 rout over Georgia State. Two Yellow Jackets posted double-doubles against the Panthers in Chanin Scott and Imani Tilford. Scott posted a double-double of 13 points and 11 rebounds, both marking career-highs for the freshman, while Tilford notched 11 points and 11 rebounds. Scott and Tilford were two of five Jackets to own double-figure scoring performance as Tech won the rebounding battle 62-33. GT hit a season-best 10 three-pointers fueled by five from Antonia Peresson.