June 11, 2016
THE FLATS – Three more Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets were selected Saturday during the final day of the 2016 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft. All told, the five Yellow Jacket draft picks are the most for Georgia Tech since seven were selected in 2013.
It marks the 17th time in 23 years under head coach Danny Hall that five or more Yellow Jackets were taken in a single MLB Draft.
All three of Tech’s final-day selections came in the 12th round. Starting pitcher Brandon Gold, who went 9-3 with a 2.48 ERA in 16 starts, was taken 350th overall by the Colorado Rockies. He is the first Yellow Jacket drafted by the Rockies since they took current outfielder Charlie Blackmon in 2008.
Eight spots later, the Boston Red Sox selected reliever Matt Gorst with the 358th overall pick. Gorst became one of the nation’s best closers in 2016, posting a 2-1 record with 12 saves and a single-season school-record 0.55 ERA in 28 relief appearances.
Team co-captain Arden Pabst was selected with the 375th overall pick by the Pittsburgh Pirates. Pabst threw out 52 baserunners in three seasons, a career .433 caught-stealing percentage. He owns a career .994 fielding percentage with only five errors in 124 career games.
Brandon Gold, SP, COLORADO ROCKIES
• First Yellow Jacket drafted by Colorado since Charlie Blackmon in 2008 (2nd round)
• Started 16 games on mound as Tech’s ace, posting team-best 9-3 record with 2.48 ERA and 81 strikeouts in 105. Innings
• Used as two-way player early in season, playing in 17 games at first base
• Hit .244 with two home runs and eight RBI, including go-ahead three-run home run in 16th inning at Georgia Southern on Feb. 24
• Named second-team All-ACC as starting pitcher
• Only pitched during sophomore and junior seasons, posting 16-6 mark with 2.83 ERA
• Ranks 8th in school history with a career 2.83 ERA (60 ER in 191.0 innings)
• Ranks 8th in school history in career fewest walks per 9 innings (2.638 BB/9)
Matthew Gorst, RP, BOSTON RED SOX
• First Yellow Jacket drafted by Boston since Jake Davies in 2012 (21st round)
• One of nation’s best closers, posting 2-1 record and 12 saves with 0.55 ERA in career-high 28 relief appearances
• Named second-team All-ACC as relief pitcher
• Set single-season school record with 0.55 ERA
• His 12 saves in 2016 are tied for second-most in school history
• 13 career saves are eighth-most in school history
• Ranks 18th in school history with a career 3.38 ERA (39 ER in 104.0 innings)
• Ranks 17th in school history in career strikeouts per 9 innings (8.91 K/9)
Arden Pabst, C, PITTSBURGH PIRATES
• First Yellow Jacket drafted by Pittsburgh since Brandon Thomas in 2012 (4th round)
• Team co-captain with Jonathan King in 2016
• Batted .248 with five doubles, four home runs and 19 RBI in 41 games with 38 starts
• Improved offensive numbers as junior in 2016
• Threw out 52 baserunners in three seasons (.433 caught-stealing percentage)
• Considered one of nation’s best defensive catchers
• Career .994 fielding percentage, only five errors in 124 career games
TOTAL GEORGIA TECH 2016 MLB DRAFT SELECTIONS
Rd (Pk) Name, Position, Team
5 (156) Connor Justus, SS, Los Angeles Angels
6 (169) Matt Gonzalez, 2B, Atlanta Braves
12 (350) Brandon Gold, SP, Colorado Rockies
12 (358) Matthew Gorst, RP, Boston Red Sox
12 (375) Arden Pabst, C, Pittsburgh Pirates