GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS (5-3) vs. NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS (3-4)
Friday-Sunday, March 1-3 • Atlanta, Ga. (Russ Chandler Stadium – 4,157)
Parking for each day this weekend is available in the Klaus Deck (E40) for $5.
• Georgia Tech baseball will play its final pre-conference weekend series when it hosts Northwestern on March 1-3 at Russ Chandler Stadium.
• The Yellow Jackets and the Wildcats haven’t played each other on the diamond since 1985, marking the third time this season that Tech has renewed a matchup 20 years old or older — UCLA and West Virginia (20 years).
• Tech is coming off a midweek sweep of in-state foe Georgia State, where its bats finally came alive and combined for 17 runs on 23 hits.
• Bright spots at the plate continue to be Michael Guldberg, who has embraced the designated hitter position and is batting .474 on the year with three RBI, and Kyle McCann, who has 10 hits (.333), one double and three home runs.
• Oscar Serratos and Tristin English both may have broken their cold streak at the plate on Wednesday when they launched no-doubt home runs against Georgia State.
• On the flipside defensively, the Jackets allowed just 12 hits, 3 runs, two walks while striking out 16 in 18 innings.
• During the week, Tech showed their depth by throwing both Cort Roedig and Amos Willingham for starts in the Tuesday-Wednesday.
• Roedig went four allowing just a run and three hits before Keyton Gibson got his first win of the year in relief, throwing 3.0 hitless innings.
• Willingham tossed 6.0 shutout innings, punching out five and issuing zero walks. Luke Bartnicki and Joseph Mannelly closed the door on the shutout in relief.
• This weekend will see Tech throw Xzavion Curry, Connor Thomas and Brant Hurter to start, after they held their own against then-No. 3 UCLA last week.
• Curry tossed 5.0 innings with just one earned run allowed on Friday, while Hurter went 5.0 on Sunday, fanning seven hitters without a walk and allowing one earned run.
• Despite a tough-luck last outing for Saturday starter Thomas, he’s still fifth in the ACC with 15 K’s.
• In relief, Tristin English dealt three full shutout innings, including extras, to finish the 11-inning thriller on Friday, striking out two. Jonathan Hughes has also been invaluable in relief, making two appearances this weekend (5.0 IP), with a line of 0 ER and 4 K’s.
• English will look to carry forward his momentum from being a Cape Cod All-Star last summer. The redshirt-junior is a two-time 2019 preseason all-American entering this weekend, as he’s expected to be one of the country’s top two-way players.
• Preseason expectations have been at an all-time high as the Yellow Jackets have built themselves into one of the oldest teams in the country, returning seven of nine starters and losing zero starting pitchers from a season ago.
• However, the Jackets will have to contend with the loss of Joey Bart and Wade Bailey to the MLB Draft, but McCann and Luke Waddell have looked primed and ready to take over at catcher and second base, respectively.
• Despite being located more than 730 miles apart, Northwestern and Georgia Tech share a familiar tie in their ranks.
• On Northwestern’s 2019 roster are redshirt freshman David Dunn and senior Jack Dunn, both from Alpharetta, Ga. and having attended Blessed Trinity high school.
• Brothers, the two are the son of former Yellow Jacket Chuck Dunn, who lettered at Georgia Tech from 1981-84.