THE FLATS – Sealing their 20th win of the season, No. 6 Georgia Tech women’s tennis swept No. 33 Virginia 4-0 Sunday morning at Ken Byers Tennis Complex. The win pushed Tech to a 20-2 overall record, 10-0 in ACC play and 11-0 when competing at home.
DOUBLES ACTION: Playing to clinch, Tech took the first two matches to finish on courts one and three. The No. 79 Yellow Jacket duo of Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones rolled to a 6-0 victory over Rosie Johanson and Meghan Kelley on court one before Nami Otsuka and Luca Fabian cruised to a 6-1 decision over Hunter Bleser and Camille Favero on court three. Tech entered singles play leading the match 1-0.
SINGLES PLAY: The Jackets took three singles matches in straight sets to clinch the match over Virginia 4-0. Wrapping up first on court five, Otsuka dropped just three games to defeat Favero, 6-1, 6-2, for a 2-0 Tech lead. Playing on court six, Fabian battled for a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Bleser to put the Jackets within one point of clinching the match. After leading the first set 4-1, Virginia’s Kelley battled back against Hourigan on court three to force a first-set tiebreak. Relentless in the tiebreak, Hourigan took the first set 7-0 in the tiebreak and dominated the second set, 6-1, to clinch the match for Tech.
The 20-win season marks the first under head coach Rodney Harmon and first 20-win season since 2008.
QUOTABLE: “It was another tough match today against Virginia. I was really pleased with the way we played doubles. Number one and number three played extremely well in doubles. I was really happy for Paige – she was a little under the weather and was able to clinch the match. Nami played extremely well today and Luca had a very clean, efficient job at six. We’ve got to get ready for a tough week against Boston College and Notre Dame.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: The Jackets return to the courts for their final two home matches this weekend welcoming Boston College on April 14 at 2 p.m. before hosting Notre Dame on Senior Day on April 15 at 12 p.m.
No. 33 Virginia vs. No. 6 Georgia Tech
Match Score: No. 6 Georgia Tech 4, No. 33 Virginia 0
1. No. 79 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) def. Rosie Johanson/Meghan Kelley (VA) 6-0
2. No. 19 Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (GT) vs. Cassie Mercer/Teodora Radosavljavic (VA) 3-3, DNF
3. Nami Otsuka/Luca Fabian (GT) def. Hunter Bleser/Camille Favero (VA) 6-1
Order of finish: 1,3
Point: Georgia Tech
1. No. 48 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) vs. No. 48 Rosie Johanson (VA) 4-6, 5-4, DNF
2. No. 101 Johnnise Renaud (GT) vs. No. 116 Cassie Mercer (VA) 7-5, 5-4, DNF
3. No. 76 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. Meghan Kelley (VA) 7-6 (7-0), 6-1
4. No. 120 Kenya Jones (GT) vs. Teodora Radosavljavic (VA) 7-6 (7-5), 1-6, DNF
5. Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Camille Favero (VA) 6-1, 6-2
6. Luca Fabian (GT) def. Hunter Bleser (VA) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,6,3