RALEIGH, N.C. — The No. 6 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team notched its fourth-straight victory on Sunday, defeating No. 42 NC State, 6-1. Playing indoors, the Jackets improved to 13-3 overall and 5-1 in ACC play.
DOUBLES ACTION: With victories at the two and three seeds, Tech grabbed the doubles point and 1-0 match lead entering singles play. Pairing together at No. 3, Johnnise Renaud and Nami Otsuka cruised to a 6-2 victory over NC State’s Tayla Stenta/Taylor Bridges before Ida Jarlskog and Victoria Flores clinched the point from the two seed. The Jacket tandem defeated Adriana Reami/Amanda Rebol, 6-4, at No. 2 to seal the early lead for Tech.
SINGLES ACTION: The Jackets wasted no time in singles play, clinching their fifth ACC win of the season. Renaud handed Tech a 2-0 match lead downing No. 107 Wiktorin in straight sets, 6-4, 6-0 from the No. 3 spot. Competing at the top spot, No. 22 Hourigan dropped only four games en route to a 6-3, 6-1 win over No. 65 Anna Rogers, setting up a 3-0 Tech advantage. Kenya Jones clinched the match for the Jackets from the No. 2 spot. The sophomore grabbed her first win from the two seed, pocketing a 6-4, 6-1 triumph over Reami, sealing the match at 4-0.
The Wolfpack got on the scoreboard winning at No. 4 as Bridges defeated Jarlskog in a third-set tiebreak before Flores handed Tech its fifth point of the match from No. 6. The freshman downed Rebol, dropping just one game in a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Otsuka closed out the match winning straight 6-4 sets over Stenta at No. 5 to complete the 6-1 Tech victory.
QUOTABLE: “The team played at a very high level today against a good NC State team. We have been on the road for our past four matches and we are looking forward to being back home this week against Notre Dame.” — Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Tech returns to Atlanta after four matches on the road. The Jackets welcome Notre Dame to the Ken Byers Tennis Complex on Friday, March 30. First serve is slated for 3 p.m.
No. 6 GEORGIA TECH at No. 42 NC STATE RESULTS
Match Score: Georgia Tech 6, NC State 1
1. No. 1 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) vs. No. 18 Anna Rogers/Claudia Wiktorin (NCSU) 5-6, DNF
2. Ida Jarlskog/Victoria Flores (GT) def. Adriana Reami/Amanda Rebol (NCSU) 6-4
3. Johnnise Renaud/Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Tayla Stenta/Taylor Bridges (NCSU) 6-2
Order of finish: 3,2
1. No. 22 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. No. 65 Anna Rogers (NCSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Kenya Jones (GT) def. Adriana Reami (NCSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. No. 107 Claudia Wiktorin (NCSU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Taylor Bridges (NCSU) 6-2, 2-6 def. No. 115 Ida Jarlskog (GT) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Tayla Stenta (NCSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Victoria Flores (GT) def. Amanda Rebol (NCSU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 3,1,2,4,6,5
Records: Georgia Tech (13-3, 5-1 ACC); NC State (9-10, 2-4 ACC)