NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Georgia Tech women’s tennis opened the 2017 ITA National Team Indoor Championships facing 7th-seeded and 8th-ranked California Friday afternoon at the Tennis & Fitness Center of Rocky Hill. The Golden Bears took the match 4-0. Georgia Tech (5-1) will now play Ole Miss on Saturday at 9:30 a.m.
DOUBLES ACTION: The Bears took the doubles point to start the match with a 1-0 lead, taking courts two and three by 6-3 decisions. Cal’s duo of Alexis Nelson/Denise Starr finished first with a 6-3 decision over Tech’s Nami Otuska/Luca Fabian, while Olivia Hauger/Karla Popovic clinched the point from court two. The Bear duo defeated Tech’s Kenya Jones/Paige Hourigan to give the defending national indoor champions a 1-0 match lead. Johnnise Renaud and Rasheeda McAdoo were leading 5-3 over Meagan Manasse/Maya Jansen, but went unfinished when the point was clinched.
SINGLES PLAY: Cal clinched the match with three straight-set singles wins. First off the court in singles play was Otsuka on court five, dropping a 6-2, 6-1 decision to Jansen. The Golden Bears took a 3-0 match lead when Popovic defeated Renaud on court two, 6-0, 6-0. The match was clinched on court four when Hauger topped Jones, 6-1, 6-2.
QUOTABLE: “We played the defending national team indoor champions today and they played extremely well in singles and doubles. It was a great lesson for our team. We will come out ready to play another tough team tomorrow.” — Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Tech returns to the court facing Ole Miss in the consolation bracket.
No. 11 Georgia Tech vs. No. 8 California Results
Match Score: No. 8 California 4, No. 11 Georgia Tech 0
1. No. 11 Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (Georgia Tech) vs. No. 49 Maya Jansen/Maegan Manasse (Cal), 5-3 DNF
2. No. 20 Olivia Hauger/Karla Popovic (Cal) def. Kenya Jones/Paige Hourigan (Georgia Tech), 6-3
3. Alexis Nelson/Denise Starr (Cal) def. Luca Fabian/Nami Otsuka (Georgia Tech), 6-3
Order of finish: 3,2
1. No. 36 Maegan Manasse (Cal) vs. No. 43 Rasheeda McAdoo (Georgia Tech), 6-3, 5-3 DNF
2. No. 20 Karla Popovic (Cal) def. Johnnise Renaud (Georgia Tech), 6-0, 6-0
3. Paige Hourigan (Georgia Tech) vs. Denise Starr (Cal), 7-5, 2-1 DNF
4. Olivia Hauger (Cal) def. Kenya Jones (Georgia Tech), 6-1, 6-2
5. Maya Jansen (Cal) def. No. 92 Nami Otsuka (Georgia Tech), 6-2, 6-1
6. Maria Smith (Cal) vs. Nadia Gizdova (Georgia Tech), 6-2, 3-2 DNF
Order of finish: 5,2,4^