THE FLATS — The Georgia Tech women’s basketball hosts Purdue on Thursday night for the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. The two teams tip at 7 p.m. in McCamish Pavilion on ACC Network Extra.
1. Georgia Tech returns to McCamish Pavilion Thursday night to welcome Purdue for the 11th annual Big Ten/ACC Challenge. The game tips at 7 p.m. and will be streamed on ACC Network Extra.
2. The Jackets and Boilermakers meet for the third time in program history with Purdue leading the all-time series, 2-0. Thursday’s contest also marks the second time the two teams have met in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge – the first was in 2012.
3. The meeting also holds special meaning as Georgia Tech head coach MaChelle Joseph was a four-year letterwinner at Purdue. Joseph still remains the all-time leader in scoring and assists in program history at Purdue.
4. Georgia Tech is coming off the Junkanoo Jam where it reached the title game for the second-straight season. The Jackets faced their first nationally-ranked opponent, taking on No. 8/9 Baylor in the championship.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 15th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 280-178. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 60.9 percent.
A WIN WOULD….
-Be the first-ever win over Purdue in program history
-Push the Jackets to 7-4 overall in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge and move Tech’s record to 5-1 at home in the Challenge
-Mark the 281st win of Coach Joseph’s career
-Be the 656th all-time program win in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history and move the Yellow Jackets to 656-604 overall
BIG TEN/ACC CHALLENGE
The Jackets enter tonight’s Big Ten/ACC Challenge with a 6-4 record in the Challenge, having fallen last season to Michigan. Tech is 5-1 at home in the Challenge. In the Challenge, Tech has taken wins over Illinois (2013), Nebraska (2011), Northwestern (2010), Penn State (2009), Michigan State (2008) and Iowa (2007). Overall, the ACC leads the Challenge 7-0-3 entering this year’s games. The Jackets last won in the Challenge on Dec. 4, 2013 over Illinois, 93-69.
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech meet’s head coach MaChelle Joseph‘s alma mater, Purdue, for the third time in program history tonight. The Jackets and Boilermakers last met in 2012 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in Indiana. They first met in the second round of the 2007 NCAA Tournament in Minneaspolis. Purdue has taken both decisions, most recently an 85-73 loss in 2012.