THE FLATS — Georgia Tech women’s basketball is back in action at home on Thursday, welcoming North Carolina at 7 p.m. on ACC Network Extra. The game will serve as Tech’s annual #Play4Kay Pink Game and fans are encouraged to wear pink.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (15-11, 4-9 ACC) vs NORTH CAROLINA (14-11, 4-8 ACC)
Georgia Tech Game Notes | North Carolina Game Notes
TV: ACC Network Extra
-First 150 fans receive a free pink donut from Krispy Kreme
-First 100 fans receive a pink t-shirt
STARTING FIVE AGAINST NORTH CAROLINA
1. Georgia Tech winds down the regular season with three games left. The Jackets host North Carolina on Thursday for a 7 p.m. matchup on ACC Network Extra.
2. The Jackets and Tar Heels have met 75 times in program history with UNC leading the all-time series, 56-19. UNC took last year’s meeting on a last second three-pointer for a one point win in Chapel Hill.
3. The Jackets currently sit at 11th in the ACC standings with UNC in 10th. Tech has three regular season games left with two being played at home.
4. Georgia Tech is led in scoring this season by Francesca Pan who is averaging 13.0 points per game. Elo Edeferioka continues to lead the Jackets on the boards, pulling down 6.6 rpg.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 15th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 289-188. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 60.9 percent.
A WIN WOULD….
-Be the 12th home win of the season and the fifth ACC win of the year for Tech
-Avenge an 89-88 loss to UNC last season in Chapel Hill
-Mark the 20th program win over UNC in history and be the third straight win at home over the Tar Heels
-Mark the 290th win of Coach Joseph’s career
-Be the 665th all-time program win in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history and move the Yellow Jackets to 665-615 overall
Georgia Tech and North Carolina first met in 1980 and have met 75 times in program history. Despite the Tar Heels winning five of the past seven meetings between the foes, Tech has taken the last two meetings in Atlanta (2016, 2014). UNC last won in Atlanta on Feb. 10, 2013 by a 60-58 tally. Last year, Jamie Cherry hit a desperation three-pointer with two seconds left on the game clock to send the Tar Heels past the Jackets, 89-88. Zaire O’Neil posted a double-double behind 16 points and 10 rebounds. Despite Tech holding a double-digit lead in the first half, UNC came back to tie the game as the teams stood at a standstill with 41.8 ticks left in the game. Tech hit two free throws to take the edge with 6.5 seconds left before Cherry hit the three-pointer. Tech was unable to get a shot off before time expired sealing the one point win for UNC.