March 15, 2016
THE FLATS – Auburn’s nine-run fourth inning broke open a one-run game Tuesday night as the Tigers handed the 22nd-ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets their fourth straight loss, 14-3.
Georgia Tech (12-4) saw its 11-game home win streak and 21-game nonconference home win streak come to an end. Auburn (9-8) evened the season series with Tech and posted its first win at Russ Chandler Stadium since 2005.
Auburn – Anfernee Grier CF, Joshua Palacios LF, Jordan Ebert 2B, Niko Buentello DH, Blake Logan C, Jackson Burgreen RF, Daniel Robert 1B, Cody Nulph SS, Kyler Deese 3B, Andrew Mitchell P Georgia Tech – Wade Bailey 2B, Connor Justus SS, Matt Gonzalez 3B, Kel Johnson RF, Joey Bart C, Trevor Craport DH, Brandon Gold 1B, Brandt Stallings, LF, Ryan Peurifoy CF, Cole Pitts P
• Georgia Tech went with its 16th different lineup of the 2016 season.
• Tech’s 11-game home winning streak was snapped at 11 games.
• The Jackets also snapped their 21-game nonconference home win streak.
• Tech has now lost four straight games.
• The Jackets are now 299-104 all-time in the month of March under Danny Hall.
• Tech falls to 18-5 in its last 23 midweek games, dating back to the final seven midweek contests of the 2014 season.
• Tech is 10-1 at home this season and 17-3 in its last 20 home games.
• Georgia Tech turned its NCAA-leading 30th double play of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Anfernee Grier opened the 3rd inning with a lead-off double. On the ensuing at bat, Joshua Palacios hit a high fly ball over the left field fence for a 2-0 lead. Two batters later, Niko Buentello hit a solo shot near the location of Palacios’ homer for a 3-0 advantage.
• Georgia Tech responded in the bottom half of the 3rd with two runs. With one out, junior Connor Justus hit his first home run of the season – a solo shot to left – to cut the Auburn lead to 3-1. Three batters later and with two runners aboard, Joey Bart plated Matt Gonzalez with an RBI groundout.
• Auburn broke the game open in the 4th inning with nine runs on eight hits and the aid of three Georgia Tech errors as the Tigers took a commanding 12-2 lead.
• Bart drove home a run in the 5th to cut the deficit to 12-3.
• Auburn’s lead returned to double digits in the 8th with a two-run frame.
“They got the better of us in all areas. We did not pitch well. We made a bunch more errors. And we’re having a hard time having anyone step up there and knock anyone in. We’re not playing good baseball right now and we did not play well tonight.” – Georgia Tech head coach Danny Hall on Tuesday’s loss
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Connor Justus hit his first home run of the season and fourth of his career (first HR since May 16, 2015, at Miami).
• Justus posted his ninth multi-hit game of the season and 36th of his career.
• Matt Gonzalez recorded his seventh multi-hit game of the season and 65th of his career.
• Gonzalez ranks third among the NCAA’s active leader with 232 career hits.
• Joey Bart extended his career-best hit streak to seven games.
• Bart posted his third multi-RBI game of the season.
• LHP Travis Shelton made his first appearance of the season.
• Freshman RHP Bailey Combs made his Georgia Tech debut in the 9th inning.
• Tuesday was the fourth time the Jackets committed 3+ errors (second game with 4 errors).
No. 22 Georgia Tech hosts Virginia Tech this weekend for a three-game ACC series at Russ Chandler Stadium. Friday’s game is slated for 7 p.m. ET and will be available on RamblinWreck.com and WREK 91.1 FM.