Feb. 5, 2008
ATLANTA – The Georgia Tech baseball team will begin its first full week of practice Tuesday, Feb. 5, with a 2:30 p.m. start time at Russ Chandler Stadium. The Jackets had their first full practice last Friday.
* Georgia Tech will practice every day (except Mondays) at Russ Chandler Stadium. Practice times are typically as follows:
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays - 2:30 p.m.Wednesdays - 3:15 p.m.Saturdays & Sundays - TBA
All times are subject to change. For the start time for a specific practice day, please contact the Georgia Tech sports information office.
* The Yellow Jackets appear at No. 25 in the preseason Collegiate Baseball poll. Tech is one of six Atlantic Coast Conference schools ranked in the top-25 prior to the start of the 2008 season.
* Georgia Tech was picked to finish fourth in the ACC’s Coastal Division in 2008, as announced by the Atlantic Coast Conference Media Relations Office Tuesday. Ahead of the Jackets in the division race were three other top-25 schools: North Carolina, Miami and Virginia. The Tar Heels are favored to repeat as league champions this year, as determined in a vote by the league’s 12 coaches.
* The Yellow Jackets’ 13th-annual Baseball Benefit Dinner (scheduled for this Saturday, Feb. 9) is sold out. The dinner, which features Atlanta Braves third baseman Chipper Jones as the keynote speaker, also includes live and silent auctions.
* Did You Know? Yellow Jacket sophomore first baseman Tony Plagman was also a standout quarterback for Wesleyan School, throwing for 3,069 yards and 29 touchdowns in his senior year, his first and only year at quarterback. Plagman threw for 497 yards and four touchdowns in his final game at Wesleyan, but it wasn’t enough as his Wesleyan Wolves couldn’t manage to stop the opposing team’s quarterback, who accounted for 553 yards of offense in the first-round playoff game. That quarterback’s name: Josh Nesbitt, now a quarterback for Georgia Tech.