LUBBOCK, Texas – In the first of two matches to be played at Texas Tech this weekend, the No. 6 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team swept Cornell on Saturday at the McLeod Tennis Center. The win moved the Jackets to 10-3 overall this season.
DOUBLES ACTION: The top two doubles tandems clinched the doubles point for the Jackets against the Big Red. Tech’s No. 4 duo of Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones made quick work of Priyanka Shah/Ananya Dua at the top seed, defeating the duo, 6-1, before Tech clinched the point at the No. 2 seed. Nami Otsuka and Victoria Flores downed Michelle Wang and Mariko Iinuma, 6-3, to seal the doubles point for the Jackets.
SINGLES ACTION: Tech took all six singles matches in straight sets against the Big Red to complete the sweep of Cornell. Johnnise Renaud took a 6-0, 6-4 triumph over Shah at the No. 1 seed, while No. 25 Hourigan captured a 6-0, 6-3 victory at No. 2 over Iinuma. Jones won her second-straight match, defeating Dua from the three seed, 6-3, 6-4.
Challenging Lilienthal, Otsuka won a hard-fought match, 7-5, 6-3, to pick up her second victory from the No. 4 seed. Gizdova got back to winning ways on Saturday, pocketing a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Madison Stevens at No. 5 as Flores completed the sweep from the six seed. The freshman downed Ana Elhom, 6-3, 6-0.
UP NEXT: The Jackets return to the courts on Sunday at 11:30 a.m. taking on No. 9 Texas Tech.
No. 6 GEORGIA TECH vs. CORNELL RESULTS
Match Score: Georgia Tech 7, Cornell 0
1. No. 4 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) def. Priyanka Shah/Ananya Dua (Cornell) 6-1
2. Nami Otsuka/Victoria Flores (GT) def. Michelle Wang/Mariko Iinuma (Cornell) 6-3
3. Johnnise Renaud/Nadia Gizdova (GT) vs. Madison Stevens/Cheyenne Lilienthal (Cornell) DNF
1. Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Priyanka Shah (Cornell) 6-0, 6-4
2. No. 25 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. Mariko Iinuma (Cornell) 6-0, 6-3
3. Kenya Jones (GT) def. Ananya Dua (Cornell) 6-3, 6-4
4. Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Cheyenne Lilienthal (Cornell) 7-5, 6-3
5. Nadia Gizdova (GT) def. Madison Stevens (Cornell) 6-1, 6-3
6. Victoria Flores (GT) def. Ana Elhom (Cornell) 6-3, 6-0
Records: Georgia Tech (10-3, 3-1 ACC); Cornell (6-7)