Jan. 10, 2016
THE FLATS – The 23rd-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team opened its spring season in dominating fashion Sunday with a 7-0 shutout over UAB at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
Georgia Tech (1-0) needed only 28 minutes to capture the doubles point. Tech’s first doubles win came on court three with a 6-1 victory by Natasha Prokhnevska and Alexis Prokopuik. The Yellow Jackets clinched the doubles point after a 6-1 decision by Johnnise Renaud and Rasheeda McAdoo. Moments later, Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer and Megan Kurey wrapped up their match with a 6-2 win.
“I thought that we played well,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “We’ve been practicing well since we got back (from the holiday break) to get ready for the season. We have some things to work on early in the year, but I am really happy with the way we’re playing right now.”
In singles play, Hourigan won the first 11 points before finishing a 6-0, 6-1 victory over UAB’s McKenna Root. On court two, Renaud shortly followed Hourigan with a 6-1, 6-1 win against Elaine Simon to give Georgia Tech a 3-0 lead.
Prokopuik clinched the victory for the Jackets with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Sophie Dodds. Anton-Ohlmeyer and McAdoo also won their matches in straight sets.
In the final singles match of the afternoon, Prokhnevska experienced a back-and-forth battle with UAB’s Reghan Lynn. The senior Prokhnevska took the first set 6-4 before Lynch rallied to win the second set 7-6. In lieu of a decision third set, both teams opted for a 10-point tiebreak which is when Prokhnevska pulled away to give the Jackets a shutout victory.
“The match on court six was great for Natasha since she hasn’t been able to play in as many matches as we want,” Harmon said. “It’s a great boost for her confidence to pull this out match out.”
Georgia Tech will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., to compete in the Michigan Invitational which will be held Jan. 16-18.
#23 GEORGIA TECH 7, UAB 0
Singles (Order of finish: 3, 2, 5, 4, 1, 6)
1. #92 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-1, 6-2
2. Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
3. Paige Hourigan (GT) def. McKenna Root (UAB) 6-0, 6-1
4. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-2, 6-0
5. Alexis Prokopuik (GT) def. Sophie Dodds (UAB) 6-2, 6-0
6. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Reghan Lynch (UAB) 6-3, 6-7, 10-3
Doubles (Order of finish: 3, 1, 2)
1. Johnnise Renaud / Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Pardis Kianoush / Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-1
2. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer / Megan Kurey (GT) def. Catherine Ragon / McKenna Root (UAB) 6-2
3. Natasha Prokhnevska / Alexis Prokopuik (GT) def. Sophie Dodds / Reghan Lynch (UAB) 6-1