GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS (2-1) at GEORGIA SOUTHERN (1-2)
Tuesday, February 19 • Statesboro, Ga. (J.I. Clements Stadium – 3,000)
Play-by-Play: Daniel Waugh
Analyst: Holden Galatas
• Georgia Tech baseball heads on the road for its first midweek matchup on 2019 when it travels to Statesboro, Ga. to face in-state foe Georgia Southern on Tuesday.
• Georgia Southern is the third-most played team from the state of Georgia in the Jackets’ all-time history. Tech and GS have squared off 131 times, behind only Mercer (166) and Georgia (373).
• The Yellow Jackets are coming off of a heart-stopping Opening Weekend that ended with them defeating West Virginia on a walk-off single by Nick Wilhite in the 11th inning.
• Finishing 2-1 on the weekend, Tech won both ways offensively, hitting three homers in one inning to down UIC and manufacturing runs to defeat WVU in extras.
• Kyle McCann, Chase Murray and Oscar Serratos all finished with home runs, with McCann blasting two, while Michael Guldberg hit .500 for the weekend as the designated hitter.
• Sophomore Brant Hurter is expected to start for Tech, continuing his midweek starter role from last year.
• In 11 appearances, 14 starts, Hurter finished with a 6.04 ERA and a 5-4 record. He struck out 56 hitters to 23 walks and allowed 36 runs in 53.2 innings of work.
• Preseason expectations have been at an all-time as the Yellow Jackets have built themselves into one of the oldest teams in the country, losing just seven of nine starters and zero pitchers from a season ago.
• Georgia Tech enters Tuesday ranked as high as No. 19 nationally. Collegiate Baseball had ranked the Jackets at 17th overall in the preseason, while NCBWA has Tech at No. 31 as of the last poll.
• Tristin English will look to carry forward his momentum from being a Cape Cod All-Star last summer. The redshirt-junior is a two-time 2019 preseason all-American entering this weekend, as he’s expected to be one of the country’s top two-way players.