EUGENE, Ore. – Opening the 2017 season at the Oregon Student Tennis Center, the Georgia Tech women’s tennis team, ranked No. 11, swept Portland 7-0 Saturday afternoon.
DOUBLES ACTION: Tech opened the day victorious on all three doubles courts as the Jackets duo of Rasheeda McAdoo and Johnnise Renaud took a 6-3 victory over Jelena Lukic and Jelena Lazarevic. Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones teamed up to take down Radina Dimitrova and Anna Oberg, 6-3, while Nami Otsuka and Nadia Gizdova captured a 6-2 victory over Tatiana Grigoryan and Emily Soares to round out doubles play.
SINGLES PLAY: The Jackets went 6-0 in singles action and took five matches in straight sets. Playing at the No. 1 spot, No. 42 McAdoo downed Lukic, 6-4, 6-4, before Hourigan won a battle at No. 2 over Dimitrova, 6-7, 6-1, 12-10. Renaud was victorious over Lazarevic, dropping just one game in a 6-0, 6-1 triumph, while Jones topped Grigoryan, 6-3, 6-0. At the No. 5 singles spot, No. 82 Otsuka collected a 6-0, 6-1 decision over Soares and Gizdova rounded out singles play with a 6-0, 7-5 victory over Ober.
QUOTABLE: “It was a good win for us today against Portland. They have some talented players. For our freshmen, this was their first dual match. I was happy that they performed well. We have another tough match tomorrow versus Oregon.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech returns to the courts on Sunday to challenge Oregon at 3 p.m. EST.
No. 11 Georgia Tech vs. Portland Results
1. (GT) Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud def. (UP) Jelena Lukic/Jelena Lazarevic, 6-3
2. (GT) Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones def. (UP) Radina Dimitrova/Anna Oberg, 6-3
3. (GT) Nami Otsuka/Nadia Gizdova def. (UP) Tatiana Grigoryan/Emily Soares, 6-2
1. (GT) No. 42 Rasheeda McAdoo def. (UP) Jelena Lukic, 6-4, 6-4
2. (GT) Paige Hourigan def. (UP) Radina Dimitrova, 6-7, 6-1, 12-10
3. (GT) Johnnise Renaud def. (UP) Jelena Lazarevic, 6-0, 6-1
4. (GT) Kenya Jones def. (UP) Tatiana Grigoryan, 6-3, 6-0
5. (GT) No. 82 Nami Otsuka def. (UP) Emily Soares, 6-0, 6-1
6. (GT) Nadia Gizdova def. (UP) Anna Oberg, 6-0, 7-5