THE FLATS – Georgia Tech rebounded from dropping the doubles point to claim a 5-2 victory over No. 36 Florida State to open ACC play on Sunday. With the win, the Jackets improved to 10-2 overall and 1-0 in league play.
DOUBLES ACTION: Florida State gained the early advantage claiming the doubles point with victories on courts three and two. Wrapping up first, the Seminole pair of Daniela Schippers and Gabrielle Goldin defeated Tech’s Luca Fabian and Nami Otsuka, 6-0, before Nandini Das and Ariana Rahmanparast topped the No. 30 Yellow Jacket duo of Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones, 6-4.
SINGLES PLAY: The Seminoles’ 1-0 lead was short-lived as the Jackets quickly claimed the first four singles matches to finish and clinched the match. Playing at the No. 1 seed, Johnnise Renaud evened the match at 1-1 with a quick 6-4, 6-0 victory over Julia Mikulski before Nadia Gizdova handed Tech a 2-1 lead with a 6-4, 6-2 decision over Gabrielle Goldin on court six. Competing on court two, Hourigan put Tech within one point of clinching with a 7-5, 6-2 triumph over Das before Rasheeda McAdoo proved to be the deciding win on court three. McAdoo, ranked No. 71 in singles, dropped the first set 6-4, but quickly regrouped, dropping only one game in the next two sets to take the match and clinch the victory for the Jackets.
Florida State captured its only singles win on court four before Otsuka closed out the match with a three-set, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (2) decision over Garcia for the final 5-2 victory.
QUOTABLE: “Today was a tough match. You have to give Florida State credit because they competed really hard. We are happy to open ACC play with a win.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech concludes this homestand hosting Virginia Tech on Friday, March 3. First serve at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex is slated for 3 p.m.
No. 11 Georgia Tech vs. No. 36 Florida State Results
Match Score: No. 11 Georgia Tech 5, No. 36 Florida State 2
1. No. 7 Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (Georgia Tech) vs. Andrea Garcia/Julia Mikulski (FSU) DNF
2. Nandini Das/Ariana Rahmanparast (FSU) def. No. 30 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) 6-4
3. Daniela Schippers/Gabrielle Goldin (FSU) def. Luca Fabian/Nami Otsuka (GT) 6-0
Order of finish: 3,2
Point: Florida State
1. Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Julia Mikulski (FSU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Paige Hourigan (GT) vs. Nandini Das (FSU) 7-5, 6-2
3. No. 71 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Daniela Schippers (FSU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
4. Ariana Rahmanparast (FSU) def. Kenya Jones (GT) 0-6, 7-5, 6-3
5. No. 102 Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Andrea Garcia (FSU) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Nadia Gizdova (GT) def. Gabrielle Goldin (FSU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 1,6,2,3,4,5