THE FLATS — Georgia Tech cruised to a 4-0 victory Saturday morning over Penn to advance to the finals of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. The Jackets claimed the doubles point before capturing three straight-set victories in singles play to take the match.
DOUBLES ACTION: The Yellow Jacket pair of Rasheeda McAdoo and Johnnise Renaud raced out to a 4-0 lead over the No. 20 duo of Kana Daniel and Ashley Zhu, before closing it out 6-0 to give Tech the early advantage in doubles play. Courts two and three remained close until Nami Otsuka/Nadia Gizdova broke serve at 4-3 to go up 5-3 on court three. Otuska/Gizdova served out the match to clinch the doubles point for Tech.
SINGLES PLAY: Competing on court two, Hourigan cruised out to a 5-1 lead over Qostal before closing out set one holding serve for a 6-2 triumph. The New Zealand native broke every serve in set two to put the Jackets up 2-0 in the match, claiming her victory with a 6-0 second set win. Renaud, on court three, held Zhu at bay while taking an early 3-0 lead in the first set. Renaud conceded nothing in the first set, holding on for a 6-0 first set win. The junior gave the Jackets a 3-0 match lead with a straight set win after taking set two, 6-1, from court three. Leading the Jackets on court one, McAdoo held off a late push from Vaidya to close out set one 6-2. The senior, ranked No. 42 in the country, clinched the match for Tech with a 6-1 second set win and a 4-0 overall match score.
QUOTABLE: “I was happy with the way our upperclassmen played today and I thought they led our team. I thought Penn played well against us. We learned a few things today and hopefully we play better tomorrow.” — Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech returns to action tomorrow, Sunday, Jan. 29 in the championship match at 1 p.m. taking on No. 24 UCLA.
No. 11 Georgia Tech vs. Penn Results
Match Score: No. 11 Georgia Tech 4, Penn 0
1. (GT) Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud def. (Penn) No. 20 Kana Daniel/Ashley Zhu, 6-0
2. (GT) Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones vs. (Penn) Ria Vaidya/Lina Qostal, 5-4 DNF
3. (GT) Nami Otsuka/Nadia Gizdova def. (Penn) Luba Vazhenia/Marta Kowalska, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3
Point: Georgia Tech
1. (GT) No. 42 Rasheeda McAdoo def. (Penn) Ria Vaidya, 6-2, 6-1
2. (GT) Paige Hourigan def. (Penn) Lina Qostal, 6-2, 6-0
3. (GT) Johnnise Renaud def. (Penn) Ashley Zhu, 6-0, 6-1
4. (GT) Kenya Jones vs. (Penn) Sarah Dreyfuss, 7-6, 1-0 DNF
5. (Penn) Marta Kowalska vs. (GT) No. 82 Nami Otsuka def. (Penn), 6-4, 3-1 DNF
6. (GT) Nadia Gizdova def. (Penn) Ojasvinee Singh, 7-5, 2-1 DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1