THE FLATS — Georgia Tech women’s basketball opens a four-game homestand welcoming Michigan in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Thursday at 7 p.m. The game will be available on the ACC Network Extra.
THE STARTING FIVE…
1. Georgia Tech opens a four-game homestand Thursday welcoming Michigan in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Fans can watch the game on ACC Network Extra or listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
2. Georgia Tech is 6-3 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge with wins over Illinois (2013), Nebraska (2011), Northwestern (2010), Penn State (2009), Michigan State (2008) and Iowa (2007). Tech is 4-0 in the Challenge when competing at home. The ACC leads the Challenge 6-0-3.
3. Both teams are receiving votes in both the Associated Press Poll and the USA Today Coaches Poll.
4. Tech has opened the season 6-0 for the first time under the direction of MaChelle Joseph. The last time the Yellow Jackets opened the season 6-0 dates back to the 1995-96 season when Tech opened the campaign 8-0.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 258-162. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 60.9 percent.
A WIN WOULD…
-Move Georgia Tech to 7-0 on the season, marking the first time under Joseph the Yellow Jackets opened the season 7-0
-Mark the first time Tech opened the 7-0 since 1995-96 when Tech opened 8-0
-Be the first win over Michigan in the series history
-Push Tech’s record to 7-3 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and move Tech’s record to 5-0 at home in the Challenge
-Push Tech’s non-conference record under Joseph to 145-39
-Mark Coach Joseph’s 259th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 634th all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Thursday’s meeting marks the first between the Yellow Jackets and Wolverines. Tech owns a 6-3 all-time record when competing in the Challenge that dates back to 2007.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech captured the Freeport Division title of the Junkanoo Jam in Bimini, Bahamas. Freshman Francesca Pan was named Tournament MVP of the division, while teammate Imani Tilford was named to the All-Tournament team. The Yellow Jackets took the title with wins over Dayton and Mizzou. Pan led Tech in the tournament, averaging 20.0 ppg as four Yellow Jackets averaged double-figure scoring numbers in two contests. Tilford followed closely behind with a 17.5 ppg average. Chelsea Guimaraes led Tech on the boards, pulling down 12 for a 6.0 rpg average.