Jan. 22, 2017
THE FLATS — Georgia Tech men’s tennis (1-1) swept the Tennessee Volunteers (4-1), 7-0, on Sunday afternoon at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex. The Jackets move to 1-1 on the season as they head into the ITA Kick-off Weekend in Evanston, Ill. on Saturday, Jan. 28.
Singles Update: Junior Christopher Eubanks came out guns blazing, quickly taking his match on court one over Timo Stodder in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, to give the Jackets the 2-0 advantage. Sophomore Andrew Li, playing at the number two spot in the lineup, took his match in straight sets over Luis Valero, 6-4, 6-2. Senior Cole Fiegel clinched the win for the Yellow Jackets at 4-0 on court six, topping Luca Weidenmann, 6-3, 6-3. Senior Carlos Benito advanced to 2-0 on the season with a 7-6 (5), 6-4 win over Srdjan Jakovljevic playing at the number three spot. Freshman Carlos Divar came back from a first set loss at the four spot to defeat Jack Schipanski, 4-6, 6-0, 6-3. Freshman Chris Yun completed the sweep for the Jackets in his debut at the five spot with a 7-5, 7-6 (6), win over Scott Jones.
Doubles Update: Eubanks and sophomore Phillip Gresk teamed up for the first time on court one for the Jackets, falling to No. 26 Valero and Schipanski, 6-4. Li and Fiegel teamed up again, advancing to 2-0 on the season with a 6-3 victory over Wiedenmann and Jakovljevic on court three. It all came down to Divar and Benito on court two for the doubles point. Playing together for the first time, the duo from Spain sealed the point for the Jackets upsetting No. 47 Stodder and Jones, 7-5.
Head coach Kenny Thorne says: “That was a very good match after a tough match two days ago. We changed up our doubles and I thought there was some good tennis. The singles I felt like we had the momentum and we got on top of them and we stayed on top of them. That’s the way you’ve got to compete. I’m very happy about our two freshmen, Chris Yun and Divar, on finishing out. Now onto the ITA Kick-off Weekend with Stanford. They’re a tough team but I think we’ve played a lot of really good competition so we’ll be ready.”
Georgia Tech Results
1. #26 Luis Valero/Jack Schipanski (TENN) def. Christopher Eubanks/Phillip Gresk (GT) 6-4
2. Carlos Divar/Carlos Benito (GT) def. #47 Timo Stodder/Scott Jones (TENN) 7-5
3. Andrew Li/Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Luca Wiedenmann/Srdjan Jakovljevic (TENN) 6-3
1. #9 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. Timo Stodder (TENN) 6-4, 6-4
2. #61 Andrew Li (GT) def. Luis Valero (TENN) 6-4, 6-2
3. Carlos Benito (GT) def. Srdjan Jakovljevic (TENN) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
4. Carlos Divar (GT) def. Jack Schipanski (TENN) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
5. Chris Yun (GT) def. Scott Jones (TENN) 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
6. Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Luca Wiedenmann (TENN) 6-3, 6-3