EVANSTON, Ill. – Georgia Tech men’s tennis (2-2) wrapped up the ITA Kickoff Weekend on Sunday falling to No. 10 Northwestern 4-0 in the championship match at the Combe Tennis Center.
DOUBLES ACTION: Northwestern grabbed the early advantage claiming the doubles point to lead the match 1-0. Zieba/Shropshire defeated Tech’s duo of Christopher Eubanks and Phillip Gresk 6-1 to gain the early lead before the Jackets evened the doubles score with a win at No. 3. Andrew Li and Cole Fiegel moved to 4-0 on the season with a 6-3 win over Ephron/Lorenzini as the doubles point came down to No. 2. Northwestern’s Kirchheimer/Stary clinched the point with a 6-4 win over Benito/Divar to put the Wildcats in the lead, 1-0.
SINGLES PLAY: Northwestern claimed three straight set singles matches to walk away with the win. Shropshire finished first, claiming a 6-0, 6-3 win over Tech’s Benito before Zieba defeated Li, 6-1, 6-0 for a 3-0 Northwestern lead. The Wildcats clinched the match at No. 4 when Stary edged Divar, 6-1, 6-1 for the final 4-0 score.
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech returns home on Feb. 3 to host Georgia State at 5 p.m. at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
No. 10 Northwestern 4, Georgia Tech 0
1. Konrad Zieba/Sam Shropshire (NU) def. Christopher Eubanks/Phillip Gresk (GT) 6-1
2. Strong Kirchheimer/Dominik Stary (NU) def. Carlos Benito/Carlos Divar (GT) 6-4
3. Andrew Li/Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Chris Ephron/Michael Lorenzini (NU) 6-3
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. #26 Strong Kirchheimer (NU) vs. #9 Christopher Eubanks (GT) 7-6 (8-6), 1-0, unfinished
2. Konrad Zieba (NU) def. #61 Andrew Li (GT) 6-1, 6-0
3. Sam Shropshire (NU) def. Carlos Benito (GT) 6-0, 6-3
4. Dominik Stary (NU) def. Carlos Divar (GT) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ben Vandixhorn (NU) vs. Daniel Yun (GT) 6-3, 1-4, unfinished
6. Jason Seidman (NU) vs. Cole Fiegel (GT) 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 4