Jan. 20, 2017
THE FLATS — Georgia Tech men’s tennis (0-1) fell to No. 6 Georgia (1-0) by a margin of 4-2 in front of an enthusiastic crowd at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex on Friday night. The Yellow Jackets return to action on Sunday, Jan. 22 at 12 p.m. when they host Tennessee at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
Singles Update: Senior Carlos Benito, playing at the No. 3 spot, grabbed the first win for the Jackets, topping No. 56 Jan Zielinski in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. Christopher Eubanks, playing at the No. 1 spot, defeated No. 22 Wayne Montgomery for the third time since the fall season, 7-6 (2), 6-4. Carlos Divar took his match to a tiebreaker in the second set, debuting at the five spot in the lineup, but fell to No. 79 Walker Duncan, 6-4, 7-6.
Doubles Update: Andrew Li and Cole Fiegel made quick work of No. 41 Montgomery and Reinberg, sweeping the Georgia duo, 6-0. Daniel Yun and Michael Kay dropped one to Duncan and Ponwith on court two and it came down to a decision on court one for the doubles point. Eubanks and Benito fought hard against No. 54 Loeb and Zielinski but fell, 6-4, giving Georgia the doubles point.
Head coach Kenny Thorne says: “I’m disappointed with the result but I’m not disappointed with our guys. I thought we needed to start better in the doubles. I felt really good about number one doubles … I think they out played us a little bit at two and at three we played lights out. I think going into the singles, they’re a good team and being up a point, I think that’s always difficult.”
Georgia Tech Results
1. #54 Jan Zielinski/Robert Loeb (UGA) def. Christopher Eubanks/Carlos Benito (GT) 6-4
2. Walker Duncan/Nathan Ponwith (UGA) def. Daniel Yun/Michael Kay (GT) 6-2
3. Andrew Li/Cole Fiegel (GT) def. #41 Wayne Montgomery/Emil Reinberg (UGA) 6-0
1. #9 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. #22 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
2. #31 Emil Reinberg (UGA) def. #61 Andrew Li (GT) 6-4, 6-3
3. Carlos Benito (GT) def. #56 Jan Zielinski (UGA) 6-4, 6-4
4. #124 Nathan Ponwith (UGA) def. Daniel Yun (GT) 6-0, 6-1
5. #79 Walker Duncan (UGA) def. Carlos Divar (GT) 6-4, 7-6
6. #79 Robert Loeb (UGA) def. Michael Kay (GT) 6-2, 6-4