April 17, 2015
PITTSBURGH — The #25 Georgia Tech tennis team (12-8, 8-5) dropped Pittsburgh (2-16, 0-13 ACC) 7-0, at the Alpha Tennis and Fitness Center on Friday evening.
“I felt that we played pretty well today,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “Pitt fought really hard and we were able to match their intensity and win at number two and number three doubles. We won some really tight first sets in singles and were able to close out the rest of the matches. I was really proud of the girls and the way they played. We are going to try and take a little bit of a deep breath and travel on to Syracuse on Sunday.”
The Yellow Jackets extended its streak to six-straight matches of winning the doubles point. The Jackets have now won the doubles point in 15 out of 20 matches. On court three, sophomore Rasheeda McAdoo and freshman Johnnise Renaud cruised past Amanda Wickman and Amber Washington, 8-2, to give Georgia Tech the advantage.
On court two, Pitt’s Audrey Ann Blakely and Callie Frey went ahead 5-1 against junior Megan Kurey and freshman Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer. The Jacket duo then strung together seven-straight wins to defeat the Panthers and put the Jackets ahead, 1-0, in the match. Kurey and Anton-Ohlmeyer are now 3-0 in ACC doubles matches.
In singles play, every Yellow Jacket won in two sets. Freshman Alexis Prokopuik quickly defeated Wickman, 6-1, 6-0, on court six to give the Yellow Jackets a 2-0 lead.
On court one, #98 Renaud took set one, 6-2, against Lolade Ogungbesan. The second set was closer between the two opponents but Renaud edged Ogungbesan, 7-5.
Freshman Paige Hourigan, who is ranked #55 in singles, finished her match shortly after Renaud, defeating Blakely, 6-4, 6-4, and clinching the victory for the Yellow Jackets.
At the number five spot, junior Natasha Prokhnevska captured a 6-4, 6-1 victory against Castro and put Georgia Tech ahead, 5-0. Woodard won 6-4, 6-4 against Washington on court three and McAdoo secured the 7-0 win with a 7-6, 6-0 win on court four against Frey.
The Yellow Jackets finish up the 2015 regular season on Sunday at Syracuse at 11 a.m. ET.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Pitt
Apr 17, 2015 at Pittsburgh, Pa.
(Alpha Tennis and Fitness Center)
#25 Georgia Tech 7, Pitt 0
- #98 Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (UP) 6-3, 7-5
- #55 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. Audrey Ann Blakely (UP) 6-4, 6-4
- Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Amber Washington (UP) 6-4, 6-4
- Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Callie Frey (UP) 7-6, 6-0
- Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Katherine Castro (UP) 6-4, 6-1
- Alexis Prokopuik (GT) def. Molly Wickman (UP) 6-1, 6-0
- Katherine Castro/Lolade Ogungbesan (UP) vs. #13 Kendal Woodard/Paige Hourigan (GT) 7-5, unfinished
- Megan Kurey/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Audrey Ann Blakely/Callie Frey (UP) 8-5
- Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Amanda Wickman/Amber Washington (UP) 8-2
Georgia Tech 12-8 (8-5 ACC); National ranking #25
Pitt 2-16 (0-13 ACC)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,2,5,3,4)