Feb. 28, 2016
EVANSTON, Ill. – The No. 36 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (6-5, 1-1) lost a closely contested match against No. 53 Northwestern (3-5) on Sunday afternoon at the Combe Tennis Center.
“We played a really tough match today against Northwestern,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “It was over a three hour battle. I was happy with the way we fought. I didn’t feel like we played that well but we fought hard. We just have to get ready to battle Boston College next weekend.”
The Yellow Jackets started off the match down a point to the Wildcats after suffering two doubles losses. On court three, senior Megan Kurey and junior Alexa Anton-Ohmeyer were stopped by Manon Peri and Lee Or, 6-3.
The score was quickly tied up 1-1 after junior Natasha Prokhnevska won her singles match on court six. Prokhenvska defeated Peri, 6-3, in set one and was up 4-1 before Peri retired.
The Wildcats would jump ahead 3-2 after picking up wins on courts two and one. Woodard suffered a 6-4, 6-4 loss to Chatt at the number two spot and No. 37 Renaud was defeated by an identical score on court one by Larner.
Hourigan recorded the next point for Tech, taking down No. 35 Lipp, 6-2, 6-3. It was Hourigan’s second win against a ranked opponent this season.
The two remaining matches on courts three and five both went into third sets.
On court three, No. 74 Rasheeda McAdoo took set one, 6-3, against Barnett but fell in set two, 6-3. Down 5-2 in set three, McAdoo rattled off the next five games to win the third set 7-5 to tie up the match at three all.
Prokopuik was also in a three set battle against Rooney at the number five spot. Prokopuik was victorious in the first set 6-2 but suffered a 6-4 loss in the second set. Prokopuik and Rooney played to a 5-5 tie but Rooney won the next two games to clinch the victory for the Wildcats.
The Yellow Jackets hit the road next weekend, traveling to Boston College on Sunday, March 6 at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Northwestern
Feb 28, 2016 at Evanston, Ill.
(Combe Tennis Center)
#53 Northwestern 4, #36 Georgia Tech 3
- Erin Larner (NU) def. #37 Johnnise Renaud (GT) 6-4, 6-4
- Paige Hourigan (GT) def. #35 Maddie Lipp (NU) 6-2, 6-3
- #74 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Alicia Barnett (NU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
- Alex Chatt (NU) def. Kendal Woodard (GT) 6-4, 6-4
- Jillian Rooney (NU) def. Alexis Prokopuik (GT) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Manon Peri (NU) 6-3, 4-1, retired
- #27 Kendal Woodard/Paige Hourigan (GT) def. #43 Alicia Barnett/Erin Larner (NU) 6-4
- #13 Maddie Lipp/Alex Chatt (NU) def. Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (GT) 7-6 (7-2)
- Manon Peri/Lee Or (NU) def. Megan Kurey/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) 6-3
Georgia Tech 6-5; National ranking #36
Northwestern 3-5; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,1,2,3,5)