April 23, 2016
CARY, N.C. – The No. 15 Georgia Tech women’s tennis squad’s ACC Tournament run has ended with a 4-2 loss to No. 7 Miami in the semifinals. The Yellow Jackets fell to 17-8 in dual matches this season.
“It was great match today – just a really good college tennis match,” said head coach Rodney Harmon. “I thought we didn’t play well in doubles. I think that’s really what hurt us today. Our No. 2 team did play well, but overall our doubles play was not what we’ve grown accustomed to. In singles, Johnnise (Renaud) had a huge win over the No. 6 player in the nation, Stephanie Wagner. That’s a great win. And Rasheeda (McAdoo) played unbelievably well to win at No. 3. We just couldn’t quite get it going down the line. We had a tight three-setter at four where they won. It was a good match, and I think it gets us prepared for regionals. We’ve just got to get back to Atlanta, get to work and try to get better before we play again.”
Miami got on the board first by winning two of the three doubles matches, although Renaud and McAdoo were able to get an impressive 6-4 in on No. 2 over Sinead Lohan and Clara Tanielian.
In singles, Renaud earned a decisive 6-2, 6-2 win over Stephanie Wagner, the No. 6 player in the country, to tie the match. Miami regained the lead with a win over Alexis Prokopuik on No. 5, but McAdoo brought the score to 2-2 with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Wendy Zhang. However, Miami clinched the match with a pair of victories over Paige Hourigan and Kendal Woodard.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Miami
Apr 23, 2016 at Cary, NC (Cary Tennis Park)
#7 Miami 4, #15 Georgia Tech 2
1. #42 Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. #6 Stephanie Wagner (UM) 6-2, 6-2
2. #8 Sinead Lohan (UM) def. #41 Paige Hourigan (GT) 7-5, 7-5
3. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. #61 Wendy Zhang (UM) 6-3, 7-5
4. Silvia Fuentes (UM) def. Kendal Woodard (GT) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Clara Tanielian (UM) def. Alexis Prokopuik (GT) 6-3, 6-1
6. Ana Madcur (UM) vs. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-2, 4-6, 5-4, unfinished
1. #9 Stephanie Wagner/Wendy Zhang (UM) def. #10 Kendal Woodard/Paige Hourigan (GT) 6-0
2. Johnnise Renaud/Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Sinead Lohan/Clara Tanielian (UM) 6-4
3. Ana Madcur/Silvia Fuentes (UM) def. Alexis Prokopuik/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 7-5
Georgia Tech 17-8; National ranking #15
Miami 19-4; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,5,3,2,4)