THE FLATS – Georgia Tech is back in the postseason. The Yellow Jackets drew the No. 2 seed in the NCAA Gainesville Regional and will play No. 3 seed UConn at 1 p.m. Friday on ESPN3.
Georgia Tech (36-23) will make its 31st NCAA Regional appearance in school history and the 20th under 23-year head coach Danny Hall. Tech has made 28 NCAA Regional appearances in the last 31 years, the third-most by any school during that same span (Florida State – 31, Miami – 31, LSU – 28).
“We’re excited to still be playing,” head coach Danny Hall said. “I told the team that only 64 get picked to keep playing and you have to earn your right to get into the tournament. I felt like we definitely did that throughout the year.
“We are excited to still be playing this time of year because we’re all playing for a chance to get to Omaha,” Hall said. “We get to go back to Florida where we played a few years ago. (Florida) is an outstanding team as are UConn and Bethune-Cookman. It should make for a great weekend.”
It will be the fourth trip to an NCAA Regional hosted by Gainesville. Georgia Tech is 5-6 all-time in Gainesville Regionals, including a runner-up finish in 2012.
Tech was one of 10 ACC teams to earn an NCAA postseason bid. The 10 bids are an ACC single-season record, while tying the NCAA single-season mark.
GEORGIA TECH BASEBALL NOTES
• Georgia Tech earned its 31st NCAA Regional appearance in school history.
• It is Georgia Tech’s 28th NCAA bid in last 31 years (third-most in Division I)
• It is the 20th NCAA Regional berth in 23 years under head coach Danny Hall
• Georgia Tech will play UConn at 1 p.m. on Friday (1 p.m., ESPN3).
• Georgia Tech is 6-1 all-time vs. UConn.
• Georgia Tech is one of 10 ACC schools to earn an NCAA postseason bid. The 10 bids are an ACC record.
• Georgia Tech is the only school from the state of Georgia to advance to the NCAA postseason.
• Georgia Tech faced nine of the current NCAA Field of 64; the Yellow Jackets are a combined 14-17 against the field (3-0 vs. Coastal Carolina, 3-0 vs. Western Carolina, 2-1 vs. Clemson, 2-2 vs. Boston College, 1-2 vs. Duke, 1-2 vs. Virginia, 1-3 vs. NC State, 1-3 vs. Miami, 0-4 vs. Florida State).
• It will be the fourth time Tech plays in a Regional hosted by Florida (runner-up in 2012 Gainesville Regional); Tech is 5-6 all-time in Gainesville Regionals.
• Georgia Tech is 61-50 all-time in NCAA Regional play (does not include Super Regionals or College World Series).
• Senior Matt Gonzalez has 294 career hits – NCAA’s active leader, needs six more to become only third player in school history 300+ career hits.
• Gonzalez was lone GT representative on 2016 ACC All-Tournament Team.
• Junior Matthew Gorst’s 0.41 ERA is Tech’s new single-season record holder in ERA (previous mark of 1.07 by Mike Sorrow, 1971).
NCAA GAINESVILLE REGIONAL SCHEDULE
Friday, June 3
Game 1 – #2 Georgia Tech (36-23) vs. #3 UConn (37-23), 1 p.m. (ESPN3)
Game 2 – #1 Florida (47-13) vs. #4 Bethune-Cookman (29-25), 6 p.m. (SEC Network)
Saturday, June 4
Game 3 – Game 1 Loser vs. Game 2 Loser, 12 p.m. (ESPN3)
Game 4 – Game 1 Winner vs. Game 2 Winner, 6 p.m. (ESPN3)
Sunday, June 5
Game 5 – Game 3 Winner vs. Game 4 Loser, 12 p.m. (ESPN3)
Game 6 – Game 4 Winner vs. Game 5 Winner, 6 p.m. (ESPN3)
Monday, June 6
Game 7 (if necessary) – Game 6 Winner vs. Game 6 Loser (ESPN3)
REGIONAL TICKET INFORMATION
Beginning Tuesday, May 31, at 1:00 p.m., all fans can order tickets using the following methods:
• Order online at FloridaGators.com/tickets, starting Tuesday, May 31, at 1:00 p.m.
• Order by calling one of the Ticket Office Specialists at (352) 375-4683, option 2, or toll free (800) 344-2867, option 2, Tuesday through Friday.
• Order by visiting the Gator Ticket Office, located at Gate 1 of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Tuesday through Friday.
Single-game tickets for a potential NCAA Gainesville Regional will be sold beginning on Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. ET.
Ticket prices are the following:
$55 – Regional Books Tournament Reserved Box
$50 – Tournament Reserved Chairback
$30 – Tournament Reserved Bleacher
$10 – Single-Game Tickets Single-Game Reserved Box
$9 – Single-Game Reserved Chairback
$9 – Single-Game Reserved Bleacher
$6 – Single-Game General Admission