March 1, 2015
RALEIGH, N.C. – The #27 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (4-4, 1-1 ACC) picked up its first ACC win of the season at NC State (6-5, 0-3), 4-1, at the J.W. Isenhour Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
“We are happy that we were able to win today,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “I didn’t think that we played as clean in doubles as we needed to. We were fortunate to make enough plays to win two tiebreakers. NC State played very, very well and we were fortunate to scrape out a doubles win.”
The Yellow Jackets started out doubles with a loss after #41 Rasheeda McAdoo and Alexis Prokopuik fell to Elisha Hande and Joanna Nalborska, 8-4, on court two. Georgia Tech would come back to clinch the doubles point after two hard-fought wins on courts one and two.
Renaud and Woodard battled it out with Sophie Nelson and Nicole Martinez, to a 7-7 tie, and won the tiebreaker, 15-13, on court one to tie up doubles.
On court three, freshman Paige Hourigan and junior Megan Kurey also found themselves in a 7-7 tie against Natalia Janowicz and Liza Fieldsend. The Jackets duo came out on top after taking the tiebreaker, 7-5, and put Tech ahead, 1-0.
“I thought in singles we played a lot better,” Harmon said. “Kendal continues to play extremely well. She won convincingly today. Johnnise played very well today. Natasha, after a very tight set, came back and played extremely well.”
In singles, #67 Renaud recorded a two set victory, 6-1, 6-3, against Fieldsend to give Georgia Tech the 2-0 advantage at the second spot. Woodard would bump Tech’s lead to 3-0 after edging Martinez, 7-6 (7-2) in the first set and putting together a 6-2 win in set two on court four.
NC State would score their only point of the match after Nalborska claimed a three-set win, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, against #57 Hourigan on court one.
On court three, Prokhnevska beat out Elisha Hande in the first set, 7-6 (7-3) and won set two, 6-3, to secure the 4-1 win against NC State.
The Yellow Jackets are back in action on Friday, hosting Louisville at 3 p.m. at the Ken Byers Tennis complex.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs NC State
Mar 01, 2015 at Raleigh, N.C.
(J.W. Isenhour Stadium)
#27 Georgia Tech 4, NC State 1
1. Joanna Nalborska (ST) def. #57 Paige Hourigan (GT) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. #67 Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Liza Fieldsend (ST) 6-1, 6-3
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Elisha Hande (ST) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
4. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Nicole Martinez (ST) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
5. Sophie Nelson (ST) vs. Megan Kurey (GT) 3-6, 1-3, unfinished
6. Tayla Stenta (ST) vs. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) 4-3, unfinished
1. Johnnise Renaud/Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Sophie Nelson/Nicole Martinez (ST) 8-7 (15-13)
2. Elisha Hande/Joanna Nalborska (ST) def. #41 Rasheeda McAdoo/Alexis Prokopuik (GT) 8-4
3. Paige Hourigan/Megan Kurey (GT) def. Natalia Janowicz/Liza Fieldsend (ST) 8-7 (7-5)
Georgia Tech 3-4; National ranking #27
NC State 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,1,3)