April 11, 2014
THE FLATS – The #32-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (10-7, 7-4 ACC) blanked Pittsburgh (4-12, 0-12 ACC), 7-0, this afternoon at the Ken Byers Tennis Center during its Aces for a Cure match.
“I felt like we came out and were on our heels a little bit in doubles,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “Pitt came out and was aggressive. We were able to come back and win on court one. Our third doubles team played very well and controlled.”
The Yellow Jackets took the doubles point from the Panthers, capturing wins on courts one and three. The freshmen duo of Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer and Rasheeda McAdoo shut out Kimmy Borzo and Katherine Castro, 8-0, at the number three spot. On court one, #5-ranked Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey rolled to an 8-4 victory against Taylor Washington and Audrey Ann Blakely, clinching the doubles point for Tech.
“In singles we played well. Overall it was a good match,” Harmon said. “We are going to have play equally if not better against Syracuse on Sunday because they are a good team.”
During singles play, every Jacket recorded straight-set victories. Woodard was the first Jacket to finish, defeating Washington, 6-2, 6-1, at the number one spot. On court six, Anton-Ohlmeyer recorded a 6-1, 6-3 win against Wickman.
McAdoo’s 6-1, 6-0 victory on court four against Borza was the clinching point in the match. Senior Muriel Wacker rolled to her fifth-straight singles victory, defeating Wickman, 6-3, 6-0. At the number two spot, Kurey won her second-straight match, winning her match against Lolade Ogungbesan, 6-2, 6-1. Sophomore Natasha Prokhnevska wrapped up the match for the Jackets, topping Katherine Castro, 6-3, 6-2.
The Jackets are back in action Sunday morning when they host #68 Syracuse at 11 a.m. at the Ken Byers Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Pitt Panthers vs Georgia Tech
Apr 11, 2014 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#32 Georgia Tech 7, Pitt Panthers 0
1. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Taylor Washington (PITT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Katherine Castro (PITT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Kimmy Borza (PITT) 6-1, 6-0
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Molly Wickman (PITT) 6-3, 6-0
6. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Amanda Wickman (PITT) 6-1, 6-3
1. #5 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) def. Taylor Washington/Audrey Ann Blakely (PITT) 8-4
2. Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GT) vs. Jocelyn Lu/Lolade Ogungbesan (PITT) 3-5, unfinished
3. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer/Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Kimmy Borza/Katherine Castro (PITT) 8-0
Pitt Panthers 4-12 (0-12 ACC)
Georgia Tech 10-7 (7-4 ACC); National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,6,4,5,2,3)