Nov. 8, 2015
THE FLATS – Five Yellow Jackets tallied double-figure kills to lead the Georgia Tech volleyball team (17-9, 8-6 ACC) past Wake Forest (11-15, 3-11) in five sets on Sunday afternoon. Annika Van Gunst (15), Teegan Van Gunst (14), Sydney Wilson (13), Lauren Pitz (10) and Ashley Askin (10) all recorded double-digit kills.
How it Happened
The first and second sets were back and forth battles with 23 tied scores and 10 lead changes combined. Each team walked away with a set, Wake Forest winning the opener, 25-22, and Georgia Tech taking game two, 25-21.
Set three was all Georgia Tech as the Yellow Jackets only allowed the Demon Deacons to score nine points, winning 25-9. Wake Forest rallied in game four and held on for a 25-23 win to force a fifth set.
The Yellow Jackets led throughout set five, and, up 14-13, a kill by Ashley Askin secured the set, 15-13, and the match for Georgia Tech.
“It’s great to see that [we had five players in double-digit kills],” head coach Michelle Collier said. “That’s what we need to do in order to be the team that we know we can be. It’s good to see that those kids are feeling more and more comfortable. They are getting more and more understanding of what they can do. It’s great for Georgia Tech.
“I think that Wake [Forest] played a really good match. They hit .556 in the first set and if a team is hitting like that they’re doing something really well. I think that we were able to not let that take us away from the match and to refocus in the second game. Then we came out in the third game ready to play our kind of volleyball and then I think we just kept battling. We stayed resilient throughout this match and we slowly found our rhythm.”
– Sydney Wilson recorded double-figure kills in both matches this weekend.
– Three Yellow Jackets tallied double-doubles – Rebecca Martin got her second on the season (51 assists, 12 digs), Annika Van Gunst tallied her sixth (15 kills, tied career-best 19 digs), and Teegan Van Gunst recorded her 17th double-double (14 kills; 11 digs).
– Four Yellow Jackets put up double-digit digs in Annika Van Gunst (19), London Ackermann (13), Teegan Van Gunst (11) and Rebecca Martin (12).
– Ashley Askin tallied 10 kills on 21 swings with just one error to hit .429.
– Lauren Pitz tallied 10 kills and seven blocks, including a career-best three solo blocks.
– Annika Van Gunst and Sydney Wilson each had five block assists with Wilson and Rebecca Martin adding a solo block each.
– Georgia Tech out-blocked Wake Forest 14 to five.
The Yellow Jackets host Clemson on Wednesday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m. Georgia Tech will honor its lone senior, Wimberly Wilson, on Senior Night prior to the match.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.