Feb. 1, 2014
THE FLATS – The #20-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (2-1) won its first match at home, defeating Old Dominion (3-1), 4-0.
“We are happy to win today,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “Old Dominion has a good team. They just came off of a win against the University of Pennsylvania at Penn. We came in and played very well in doubles. It was a bit of a fight in singles but we were able to pull it out. We have a little bit of a break until we head up to Knoxville to battle the Volunteers.”
The Yellow Jackets started off the match with a 1-0 lead thanks to two doubles wins from the #4-ranked sophomores Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey and senior Muriel Wacker and freshman Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer.
On court three, Wacker and Anton-Ohlmeyer won three-straight games to take a, 3-0, lead against Nika Khmolovska and Ivana Vuckovic. Khmolovska and Vuckovic would win a game, but Wacker and Anton-Ohlmeyer would put the next three away to win the match, 6-1.
After jumping to a 5-0 lead on court one, Woodard and Kurey’s opponents, Ingrid Vojcinakova and Marijana Novakovic would win two games to make it 5-2. Woodard and Kurey then captured the 6-2 win, winning their 13th straight doubles match.
The Jackets jumped to a 3-0 lead after two singles wins from Wacker and Kurey. Wacker cruised to her second singles victory this season against Esnal Olguin on court six. Wacker blanked Esnal Olguin in the first set, 6-0 and won set two, 6-1. On court three, Kurey defeated Vukovic in straight-sets, 6-1, 6-3.
On court one, Woodard faced Hristova in a close match. After a 3-3 tie, Hristova won the next three games to win the first set, 6-3. Woodard rebounded to win the second set, 6-1. After being up, 8-6, in the tie breaker, Hristova scored two points to tie it up, 8-8. Woodard rattled off the next two points to win the tiebreaker, 10-8, and clinch the win for the Jackets.
Next up, the Jackets travel to #26 Tennessee on February 15 at noon.
#20 Georgia Tech 4, Old Dominion 0
1. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Nikol Hristova (ODU) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0
2. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) vs. Ingrid Vojcinakova (ODU) 3-6, 2-3, unfinished
3. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Ivana Vukovic (ODU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) vs. Nika Khmolovska (ODU) 2-6, 5-2, unfinished
5. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) vs. Marijana Novakovic (ODU) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
6. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Melissa Esnal Olguin (ODU) 6-0, 6-1
1. #4 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) def. Nikol Hristova/Melissa Esnal Olguin (ODU) 6-2
2. Rasheeda McAdoo/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) vs. Ingrid Vojcinakova/Marijana Novakovic (ODU) 3-5, unfinished
3. Muriel Wacker/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Nika Khmolovska/Ivana Vukovic (ODU) 6-1
Match Notes: Old Dominion 3-1 Georgia Tech 2-1; National ranking #20 Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,3,1) –RamblinWreck.com–