Jan. 27, 2013
Los Angeles, Calif. – Juan Spir and Vikram Hundal won at No. 1 doubles to remain undefeated this spring, but Georgia Tech lost the doubles point and was swept in singles Saturday in dropping a 4-0 decision to San Diego State Saturday in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend consolation match.
Tech dropped to 2-2 this spring and look ahead to a road match against South Carolina Saturday.
The Yellow Jackets lost the doubles point for the first time this season despite the efforts of Spir and Hundal, the nation’s third-ranked doubles team who downed Thorsten Bertsch and Hunter Nicholas, 8-6, at No. 1 to improve to 15-1 this year. Garrett Gordon and Eduardo Segura lost in a tiebreaker to Andranik Khachartyan and Derek Siddiqui at No. 2, and Colin Edwards and Nathan Rakitt dropped an 8-6 decision at No. 3 to Shiva Sangwan and Spencer Simon.
Siddiqui continued the Aztecs’ momentum with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Spir at No. 1 singles. Nicholas made it 3-0 for SDSU with a three-set victory over Segura at No. 3, and Khachartyan clinched the match with a tight three-set win over Gordon at No. 4.
The remaining matches were suspended.
ITA KICK-OFF WEEKEND
Jan 26, 2013 at Los Angeles, Calif.(Marks Stadium)
#66 San Diego State 4, #60 Georgia Tech 0
1. Derek Siddiqui (SDST) def. #32 Juan Spir (GT) 6-4, 6-1
2. Thorsten Bertsch (SDST) def. Vikram Hundal (GT) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Hunter Nicholas (SDST) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 5-7, 6-3, 7-5
4. Nathan Rakitt (GT) vs. #123 Andranik Khachartyan (SDST) 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
5. Garrett Gordon (GT) vs. Juan Florez (SDST) 0-1, unfinished
6. Anish Sharma (GT) vs. Shiva Sangwan (SDST) 2-0, unfinished
1. #3 Juan Spir/Vikram Hundal (GT) def. Thorsten Bertsch/Hunter Nicholas (SDST) 8-6
2. Andranik Khachartyan/Derek Siddiqui (SDST) def. Garrett Gordon/Eduardo Segura (GT) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Shiva Sangwan/Spencer Simon (SDST) def. Colin Edwards/Nathan Rakitt (GT) 8-6
San Diego State 3-1; National ranking #66
Georgia Tech 2-2; National ranking #60
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,3)
ITA Kick-Off Weekend – consolation