July 15, 2009
ATLANTA – Several Georgia Tech softball players, both past and present, are competing this summer and faring quite well. Here is a look at how they have fared so far and what is coming up over the next few weeks.
* Yee and Lever helped lead the Canadians to a second-place finish at the Canada Cup, July 4-12, in Surrey, British Columbia.
* Yee batted .395 at the Canada Cup with 12 RBI and five extra-base hits.
* Lever hit .371 at the Canada Cup with seven runs scored and five stolen bases.
* Canada lost to the United States, 3-2, in the championship game
* Yee and Lever will be on the Canadian roster for the U.S. World Cup of Softball, which will be held July 16-20 in Oklahoma City, Okla.
* Canada will then participate in the Pan-American Games qualifier July 31-August 9 in Maracay, Venezuela
National Pro Fastpitch League
* There are currently four former Yellow Jackets in the NPF this summer.
* Savannah Brown and Jessica Sallinger are playing with the Philadelphia Force, while Aileen Morales and Caitlin Lever are on the defending champion Chicago Bandits. For up-to-date stats on the NPF, click here.
Team Puerto Rico
* Aileen Morales, who was named Georgia Tech’s new assistant coach on July 14, will once again play on the Puerto Rican National Team later this summer.
* She played for Puerto Rico in 2007 at the Olympic qualifier. This year, she will be on the roster for the Pan-American Games qualifier July 31-August 9 in Maracay, Venezuela
* Two other former Yellow Jackets, Brittany Barnes and Whitney Humphreys, are playing overseas in Germany this summer. Humphreys played in the Netherlands last summer while Barnes was on the Akron Racers of the NPF.