Feb. 14, 2015
• Opening tip: won by Florida State (Jackets have won 14 of 25 opening tips this season)
• First subs for Georgia Tech: Heath for Jorgenson at 16:37 in the first half
• On the floor for Georgia Tech at the end: Bolden, Cox. Georges-Hunt, Jorgenson, Sampson
• Series record vs. Florida State: Tech is 27-39 overall, 16-16 at home, 17-25 as ACC members, 0-4 under Brian Gregory, 7-13 vs. Leonard Hamilton
• Current series streak: Florida State has won the last 10 meetings.
• Georgia Tech is 7-6 at home this season, 35-27 under Brian Gregory
• Georgia Tech’s next game: Clemson, Feb. 16, 7 p.m., McCamish Pavilion [ESPNU, 680 AM, 93.7 FM, Sirius 93, XM 193]
• Tech utilized the same starting lineup for the seventh straight game – Chris Bolden and Travis Jorgenson at the guards, Demarco Cox at center, Marcus Georges-Hunt and Robert Sampson at the forwards.
• Tech trailed 32-23 at the half, the ninth time this season the Jackets have trailed at the half (1-8 record).
• Virginia defeated Tech by 29 points, but the Yellow Jackets’ other nine conference defeats have come by a total of 38 points (3.8 points per game), two of those in overtime. Tech has lost twice by one point, twice by two points, once by three, once by four, once by five, once by six and twice by seven. The seven-point loss at Notre Dame was a double-overtime defeat. Nine of those defeats have been one- or two-possession games at the 1-minute mark.
• Tech scored 19 points off of 18 FSU turnovers, the most for the Jackets in an ACC game this season, most since getting 20 against Alabama A&M in the second game of the season.
• Tech had a 53-48 lead with 4:10 left in the game and was outscored 9-0 over that stretch. Tech lost for the fourth time this season when holding a lead at the 5-minute mark.
• Tech utilized 10 players against Florida State, and eight of them scored. Brian Gregory has used at least nine players in every game this season, at least 10 in nine games.
• Head coach Brian Gregory has utilized seven different lineups this season. Only Georges-Hunt has started all 24 games for Tech this season, and nine different players have started at least one game.
• Tech shot under 40 percent from the floor for the 10th time this season, and seventh time in an ACC game.
• Tech had a season-high 16 assists on 21 made field goals.
• Tech’s eight steals were its most since getting 11 Jan. 3 at Notre Dame, and the Jackets forced FSU into 18 turnovers, the most for a Tech opponent since Alabama A&M committed 20 in the second game of the season.
• Tech was beaten on the boards for the fourth time this season, 35-34. FSU joined Wake Forest, Virginia and Duke to score an edge in rebounding against the Yellow Jackets, and there has been one tie (Northwestern). The Jackets entered the FSU game 13th in the nation in rebound margin, and remain on a school-record pace for rebound margin at +7.8 per game, +5.2 per game in conference play.
• Tech grabbed 12 offensive rebounds and scored just eight points off those second chances. Tech entered the game 11th in the nation in offensive rebounds per game.
• Tech went just 8-for-14 from the free throw line against FSU and has gone just 37-for-62 in the last four games. The Jackets had been No. 3 in the ACC in free throw percentage against conference opponents.
• Four Tech players are averaging 5.8 or more rebounds in ACC games – Mitchell 6.7, Georges-Hunt 6.2, Cox 6.0, Sampson 5.8 – and each of them rank in the ACC’s top 20. Those four players totaled 20 rebounds against Virginia Tech.
• Tech’s three primary big men (Cox, Mitchell, Sampson) scored 22 of Tech’s 53 points (9-for-23 FG), with Cox getting 12 of those. Tech outscored FSU, 32-22, in the paint.
• FSU went 4-for-12 from three-point range (33.3 pct.). Tech has yielded 49 threes in 216 attempts (22.7 pct.) in its wins this season, 91 threes in 234 attempts (38.9 pct.) in its losses.
• Marcus Georges-Hunt scored in double digits for the seventh straight game, 19th time this season, 59th time in his career and 28th time in an ACC game. Georges-Hunt has never previously scored in double figures more than five straight games (five times, twice this season).
• Georges-Hunt matched his season-high for rebounds with nine (Boston College and Duke) and assists with five (Georgia).
• In his last seven games, Georges-Hunt has averaged 17.4 points, 7.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists. He has shot 52.5 percent from the floor (42-for-80), 50 percent on threes (9-for-18) and 78.4 percent from the free throw line (29-for-37).
• Georges-Hunt is hitting 46.4 percent of his shots from inside the three-point line this season.
• Demarco Cox notched his fourth double-digit game in the last six Tech games, and his 12th one this season. He has six double-digit scoring games in ACC games. Cox had only five double-digit games in 102 games at Ole Miss. Cox has averaged 8.8 points and 5.6 rebounds over his last six games.
• Robert Sampson matched his season high with nine rebounds. He has taken six or more in 18 of 25 games this season.