ATLANTA (April 8) – The 25th-ranked Georgia Tech men’s tennis team defeated Atlantic Coast Conference foe Wake Forest, 6-1, April 8 at Bill Moore Tennis Center.
The Yellow Jackets opened the day by sweeping doubles and then took five of six singles matches to win for the 11th time in the last 12 contests and improve to 16-4 overall and 6-1 in the ACC.
Roger Anderson led Tech with wins at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles. The sophomore from Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, raced past Raul Munoz, 6-1, 6-2, in singles and teamed with sophomore David Wright in doubles to defeat Munoz and Mike Murray, 8-5.
Wright, sophomore Stephen Moros and freshman Joao Menano also picked up both singles and doubles wins for the Yellow Jackets. Wright defeated Murray, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 3 singles. Moros topped Trent Brendon, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 4 singles and paired with senior Sergio Aguirre at No. 3 doubles to defeat David Bere and Justin Kaufmann, 8-5. Menano and senior Romain Coirault defeated Brendon and David Loewenthal at No. 2 doubles and Menano clinched the victory for the Ramblin’ Wreck with a 6-4, 7-6 win over Bere at No. 5 singles. The win was the third-straight for Menano and his 10th singles victory in his last 11 matches.
Freshman Alex Navinkov also continued to show the strength of the Georgia Tech freshman class. His 7-6 (4), 2-6, 6-3 win over Kaufmann at No. 6 singles gave him six singles wins in his last seven contests.
The Yellow Jackets take on North Carolina (9-6, 4-1 ACC) in their final home match of the 2000-01 season on Friday at 2:00 p.m. at the Bill Moore Tennis Center. Wake Forest fell to 12-8 and 4-3 in the ACC with the loss.
GEORGIA TECH 6, WAKE FOREST 1
1. Roger Anderson (GT) def. Raul Munoz (WF) 6-1, 6-2
2. David Loewenthal (WF) def. Romain Coirault (GT) 7-6, 6-2
3. David Wright (GT) def. Mike Murray (WF) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
4. Stephen Moros (GT) def. Trent Brendon (WF) 6-3, 6-1
5. Joao Menano (GT) def. David Bere (WF) 6-4, 7-6
6. Alex Navinkov (GT) def. Justin Kaufmann (WF) 7-6 (4), 2-6, 6-3
Doubles: Georgia Tech wins point
1. Wright/Anderson (GT) def. Munoz/Murray (WF) 8-5
2. Menano/Coirault (GT) def. Brendon/Loewenthal (WF) 8-6
3. Moros/Sergio Aguirre (GT) def. Bere/Kaufmann (WF) 8-5