April 12, 2015
Blacksburg, Va. – Freshman Christopher Eubanks earned his seventh victory over a ranked opponent Sunday, but 12th-ranked Virginia Tech was too strong as the Hokies downed Georgia Tech, 6-1, in an Atlantic Coast Conference tennis match at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
After Virginia Tech captured the doubles-point, Eubanks quickly evened the score with a 6-2, 6-2 win over 69th-ranked Amerigo Contini on court 1. The Tech rookie, ranked No. 54 nationally, has won seven matches over ranked players among his 22 victories this spring.
But the Hokies improved to 17-3 overall, 8-2 in the ACC, maintaining second place in the ACC by winning the next three singles matches in straight sets. Jai Corbett downed Cole Fiegel, 6-2, 6-3, on court 6, Eduardo Tessaro defeated Eduardo Segura, 6-2, 6-4, on court 5, and No. 32 Andrew Bjerrehus got past Carlos Benito, 7-5, 6-4, on court 2 to clinch the match.
No. 113 Joao Monteiro got the Hokies’ fifth point with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Nathan Rakitt on court 4. Freshman Michael Kay came up short in his bid to get the Jackets a second point, dropping the third-set tiebreaker in his match with No. 119 Hunter Koontz, 20-18.
Fiegel and Rakitt captured one of the three doubles matches, defeating Contini and Corbett, 8-6.
Tech, which fell to 11-10 overall, 3-7 in the ACC, returns home for its final home matches of the spring season next weekend against No. 6 Duke and No. 16 North Carolina.
#12 Virginia Tech 6, Georgia Tech 1
4/12/2015 at Blacksburg, Va. (Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center)
1. #54 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. #69 Amerigo Contini (VT) 6-2, 6-2
2. #32 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) def. Carlos Benito (GT) 7-5, 6-4
3. #119 Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Michael Kay (GT) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (20-18)
4. #113 Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Nathan Rakitt (GT) 7-6 (12-10), 6-4
5. Edoardo Tessaro (VT) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jai Corbett (VT) def. Cole Fiegel (GT) 6-2, 6-3
1. #69 Andreas Bjerrehus/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Christopher Eubanks/Michael Kay (GT) 8-3
2. Joao Monteiro/Edoardo Tessaro (VT) def. #67 Carlos Benito/Eduardo Segura (GT) 8-5
3. Cole Fiegel/Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Amerigo Contini/Jai Corbett (VT) 8-6
Georgia Tech 11-10, 3-7 ACC
Virginia Tech 17-3, 8-2 ACC; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,6,5,2,4,3)