Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (19-14) vs. MTSU Blue Raiders (23-10)
Parking: First-come, first-served in East O’Keefe, Fowler Street and Family Housing Deck
Georgia Tech Game Notes | UCF Game Notes
Radio: WREK 91.1
THE FLATS — Georgia Tech advanced to the WNIT Round of 16 last week and meets MTSU for the second time this season on Thursday.
THE STARTING FIVE…
1. Georgia Tech advanced to the Round of 16 in the WNIT to host MTSU at 7 p.m. Sunday. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
2. The Yellow Jackets and Blue Raiders meet for the second time this season and third time overall. Tech took the first meeting this season back in December in Murfreesboro by a 61-60 score. Tech leads the all-time series 3-0 against MTSU.
3. This it Tech’s seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Last season, the Jackets reached the second round of the WNIT after defeating Mercer in the first round. Tech fell to Tulane in round two.
4. Francesca Pan capped her freshman season earning ACC Freshman of the Year by both the Blue Ribbon Panel and the ACC head coaches. Additionally, Pan was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team and All-Academic Team.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 271-176. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD…
-Move Georgia Tech to 20-14 overall on the season, marking the ninth 20-plus win season under head coach MaChelle Joseph
-Advance the Jackets to the quarterfinal round
-Move the all-time series record to 4-0 against MTSU and push Tech’s home record to 14-5
-Mark Coach Joseph’s 272nd career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 645th all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech won its 10th victory of the season with a win at MTSU in the first meeting this season against the Blue Raiders. Tech trailed by six points with just over four minutes remaining and its final run was jumpstarted by Zaire O’Neil. Imani Tilford cut it to two, converting a layup with 3:12 left to play and O’Neil put Tech back in the lead with a three-point play with just over two minutes to play. Appearing in her first game, Kaylan Pugh gave Tech a three-point lead before Alex Johnson cut the score to one point. MTSU shot a three-pointer with five seconds to play, but the shot was off the mark, sealing the win for Tech.
LAST TIME OUT
The Jackets advanced to the round of 16 with a 63-51 victory over UCF in McCamish Pavilion on Sunday. The Jackets were led by Kaylan Pugh who posted her second double-double of the season with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Freshman Francesca Pan posted 21 points in the win to lead all scorers offensively. The teams finished tied on the rebounding glass, each pulling down 37, but Tech finished 16-of-29 from the charity stripe and hit seven three-pointers to help push the Jackets to victory.
TECH IN THE WNIT
Georgia Tech is making its seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Through the seven appearances in the postseason tournament (including 2017), the Jackets have posted a 9-5 record, including advancing to the second round three straight seasons. In 1992, Tech won the NWIT at the Cal Farley Coliseum in Amarillo, Texas. The berth also marks the 10th postseason appearance in 11 years for Tech.