Feb. 20, 2008
Freshman Eliot Potvin picked up the deciding singles victory to lead the Georgia Tech men’s tennis team (6-1) over Furman (1-4), 6-1, Wednesday afternoon at the BillMooreTennisCenter.
The Yellow Jackets opened the day with an 8-5 victory from the duo of Scott Blackmon and Ryan Smith over the Paladins Andy Juc and Bo Ladyman at the No. 1 singles postion. Tech secured the doubles point after Potvin and Miguel Muguruza finished off Jason Basile and Daniel Knause, 8-5, at the third position. The Jackets completed the doubles sweep when David North and George Gvelesiani completed an 8-6 win over Chris Rhyne and Andrei Chvetsov at No. 2.
“I was very pleased with our doubles play today,” head coach Kenny Thorne said. “I feel we didn’t press and just played within ourselves.”
In singles play, Tech moved ahead 2-0 when North defeated Ladyman in straight sets, 6-1,6-4, at the No. 2 spot. Furman was able to answer right back with a win on court three as Knause defeated Blackmon, 6-2, 6-0. Freshman Guillermo Gomez pushed the score to 3-1 after a hard-fought 6-4, 7-5 win over Juc.
Potvin sealed the win for the Jackets after coming from behind in the second set to beat Jordan Waters, 6-2, 6-4, at the fifth spot in the lineup. Smith and Muguruza closed out the match with a pair of exciting three-set matches.
“I know we have a very good team to compete at a high-level,” Thorne said. “It was great to see Eliot (Potvin) clinch the match for us and to see David (North) continue to play well. Guillermo also had a big win because we lost that match last year. I was very pleased with the way our guys continued to fight at the end to beat a very good Furman team.”
Tech continues its season-opening homestand this Sunday against South Carolina of the Southeastern Conference beginning at 1 p.m.
– RamblinWreck.com –
Tennis Match Results
Furman vs Georgia Tech
Feb 20, 2008 at Atlanta, Ga.
#38 Georgia Tech 6, Furman 1
1. Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. Andy Juc (FUR) 6-4, 7-5
2. #61 David North (GT) def. Bo Ladyman (FUR) 6-1, 6-4
3. Daniel Knause (FUR) def. Scott Blackmon (GT) 6-2, 6-0
4. Ryan Smith (GT) def. Chris Motes (FUR) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
5. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Jordan Walters (FUR) 6-2, 6-4
6. Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. Sawyer Duncan (FUR) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Scott Blackmon/Ryan Smith (GT) def. Andy Juc/Bo Ladyman (FUR) 8-5
2. George Gvelesiani/David North (GT) def. Chris Rhyne/Andrei Chvetsov (FUR) 8-6
3. Miguel Muguruza/Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Jason Basile/Daniel Knause (FUR) 8-5
Georgia Tech 6-1; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,1,5,4,6)