THE FLATS – The 7th-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team cruised to a 4-1 win over South Florida on the opening day of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend on Saturday. The Jackets clinched the doubles point and collected three singles wins to post the victory.
DOUBLES ACTION: Paige Hourigan and Nadia Gizdova rolled on court three to a 6-3 victory over Alexandria Mjos/Anna Roman to give Tech the early doubles advantage. Battling on court one, Tech’s duo of Ida Jarlskog and Johnnise Renaud stood tied with Nicole Dzenga/Vanja Klaric at 3-3 before the Jackets grabbed the next two games to take a 5-3 advantage. The Bulls broke serve to move the match to 5-4 but Tech picked up the 6-4 win to clinch the point. On court two, Victoria Flores and Nami Otsuka found themselves trailing Jessica Chaves/Evelyne Tiron 4-2 before pulling the match even at 4-4. The Jackets grabbed a 5-4 lead before play was suspended when the doubles point was clinched. Tech led 1-0 entering singles play.
SINGLES ACTION: Playing at the three spot, Jarlskog cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Tiron to hand Tech a 2-0 match lead. No. 49 Hourigan, competing at the top seed, pushed Tech in front 3-0 when No. 97 Roman was forced to retire due to injury. Hourigan led in the match 6-4, 4-1 before Roman retired. The Bulls got on the scoreboard with a win at No. 6 as Mjos defeated Gizdova, 6-1, 6-3. Flores would clinch the match from No. 4, pocketing a straight-set victory over Klaric. Flores trailed in the first set, 4-3, before battling back to take the first set 6-4. The freshman clinched the match with a 6-4 second set win for a 4-1 tally.
QUOTABLE: “Today was our first dual match of this season. It was great to get through it. I thought USF came out and played really well. I felt we played reasonably well. We have stuff to work on obviously. It was our first match, we had some nerves and we had two freshmen playing in their first dual match. So it’s great to get through it. Now we’ll rest and get ready to play tomorrow.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Tech returns to the court tomorrow at 1 p.m. to face the winner of Darmouth/Denver. The teams will meet in the championship match with a berth into the ITA National Team Indoor Championships on the line.
No. 7 GEORGIA TECH VS. SOUTH FLORIDA RESULTS
Match Score: Georgia Tech 4, South Florida 1
1. Ida Jarlskog/Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Nicole Dzenga/Vanja Klaric (USF) 6-4
2. Victoria Flores/Nami Otsuka (GT) vs. Jessica Chaves/Evelyne Tiron (USF) 5-4, DNF
3. Paige Hourigan/Nadia Gizdova (GT) def. Alexandria Mjos/Ana Roman (USF) 6-3
Order of finish, 3, 1
1. No. 49 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. No. 97 Ana Roman (USF) 6-4, 4-1, ret.
2. No. 79 Johnnise Renaud (GT) vs. Jessica Chaves (USF) 7-5, 4-2, DNF
3. No. 89 Ida Jarlskog (GT) def. Evelyne Tiron (USF) 6-1, 6-1
4. Victoria Flores (GT) def. Vanja Klaric (USF) 6-4, 6-4
5. Nami Otsuka (GT) vs. Nicole Dzenga (USF) 5-7, 6-1, 4-0, DNF
6. Alexandria Mjos (USF) def. Nadia Gizdova (GT) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 6, 4