THE FLATS – After officially opening the season on the road at Houston on Friday night, Georgia Tech returns to Atlanta on Sunday to tipoff the home slate hosting App State at 2 p.m. The teams, meeting for the 10th time in program history, will be televised on ACC Network Extra.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (0-1) vs. Appalachian State Mountaineers (0-1)
Watch Live (ACC Network Extra)
Georgia Tech Game Notes | App State Game Notes
Promotions: Military Appreciation Day – first 400 fans receive a schedule magnet; first 500 fans receive a camo Georgia Tech t-shirt; first 250 fans receive a mini American flag
- Georgia Tech tips off the home slate of the 2018-19 season on Sunday, welcoming App State for the 10th meeting in program history. Tech leads the all-time series, 8-1, and owns a 4-1 edge when competing in Atlanta. The game will be televised on ACC Network Extra.
- The Yellow Jackets officially opened the season Friday night at Houston. The Cougars and Jackets played through two overtimes, but the home squad held strong despite a valient rally from Tech for a six-point victory.
- Georgia Tech returns seven letterwinners from last season’s squad that went 20-14 overall and reached the third round of the WNIT. The Yellow Jackets defeated Bethune Cookman and UAB at home before falling to Alabama by a possession in Tuscaloosa.
- Amongst Tech’s seven returning letterwinners is last season’s leading scorer and 2016-17 ACC Freshman of the Year, Francesca Pan. The junior led the Jackets in scoring last season, averaging 14.3 points per game, while also leading the team in three-point shooting, connecting on 79 treys. Also returning for her sophomore campaign on The Flats is Kierra Fletcher who put together an impressive freshman campaign last season. Fletcher returns as the team’s leading rebounder after pulling down 5.2 rebounds per game last season.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 16th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 294-192. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 60.9 percent.
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech and Appalachian State met last season in the season-opener for both teams in Boone, N.C. The Yellow Jackets pocketed the decision, 75-41, behind three players in double-figure scoring numbers. Francesca Pan led the charge for Tech with 16 points as the Jackets shot 44.6 percent (25-56) and forced 26 turnovers, which it converted into 25 points. The Jackets hit nine three-pointers, paced by four apiece from Pan and Antonia Peresson, and swiped 12 steals led by Imani Tilford’s five.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech went into double-overtime to open the season at Houston on Friday night. Playing at Texas Southern, five Yellow Jackets finished with double-figures led by sophomore Kierra Fletcher with 25 points. Francesca Pan chipped in 22 points in a game that saw Tech out-rebound Houston, 54-44, with Lorela Cubaj and Elizabeth Dixon both just missing double-doubles with nine rebounds each. Tech shot 57.6 percent (38-66) from the field compared to Houston’s 37.5 percent (33-88), but the Jackets hit only eight free throws (40.0 percent for the game), while the Cougars converted 19 (57.6 percent). In the two overtime periods, Houston used nine made free throws to Tech’s one to seal the victory.