THE FLATS – Georgia Tech stood tied with No. 8 NC State in the fourth quarter, but the Wolfpack held strong for a 68-60 win Sunday afternoon in McCamish Pavilion. Elizabeth Dixon and Elizabeth Balogun combined for 31 points as Tech fell to 13-7 overall and 3-4 in ACC play.
How It Happened
NC State opened the first quarter hitting four three-pointers to build a 12-4 advantage, but the Yellow Jackets quickly went to work to erase their deficit and outscored the Wolfpack 9-2 over the next two minutes to close the gap to 14-13 with 3:00 to play. Chanin Scott ended the frame with a field goal as Tech took its first lead with a 4-2 spurt to open the second quarter. NC State knotted the game twice afterwards before regaining the lead on a Kai Crutchfield triple. The Wolfpack would extend their lead to five points in the quarter as Tech went 5-for-6 from the free throw line over the final 1:32 to trail 34-30 at halftime.
Tech opened the second half with a 6-0 spurt to force NCSU to burn a timeout with just over a minute expired in the frame. With the Jackets leading 40-38 at 4:42, the Wolfpack rattled off three consecutive three-pointers in 91 seconds to take a 47-40 advantage. NCSU held a five-point leading entering the final stanza, but Tech pressed the Wolfpack and used a 7-2 run to open the final 10 minutes to tie the game at 52-52 on a Francesca Pan three-pointer with 7:33 to play. NCSU answered with a three-pointer from Kayla Jones to put the Pack back in front for the final time. Tech came within three points, but was unable to stage a comeback.
* Dixon led Tech with 17 points followed by Balogun with 14 points and Pan with 10 points
* NC State won the battle on the glass, 38-31, and finished 17-of-23 from the free throw line
* Tech shot 34.4 percent (22-64) from the field and was 11-of-18 at the charity stripe
* NCSU hit nine three-pointers in the contest for a 40.9 percent (9-22) efficiency from long range
* The Wolfpack shot 43.8 percent (21-48) from the field to remain undefeated on the season
Georgia Tech visits North Carolina on Thursday for a 7 p.m. tip in Chapel Hill on ACC Network Extra.