April 25, 2015
Cary, N.C. – A rousing run to the semifinal round came to an abrupt end Saturday for Georgia Tech when third-seeded Wake Forest shut out the Yellow Jackets, 4-0, in the Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Championship at the Cary Tennis Park.
Tech snapped a three-match winning streak and fell to 14-12 overall, and awaits the announcement of the NCAA Championship field next Tuesday evening. The Demon Deacons improved to 22-6 and face top-seeded Virginia in Sunday’s championship match.
Wake Forest, which won their ninth straight match dating back to a 5-2 defeat of the Yellow Jackets on April 3, jumped on Tech quickly to win the doubles point. Noah Rubin and Jon Ho defeated Christopher Eubanks and Michael Kay, 8-2, to begin, and Keivon Tabrizi and Romain Bogearts downed Cole Fiegel and Nathan Rakitt, 8-1.
“Wake Forest really took it to us in doubles. I really felt good about our game plan in all three matches, but we didn’t execute well at the beginning of the matches,” said Tech coach Kenny Thorne. “Same thing in singles. Wake just took it to us; they played better than us. They’re a good team and deserve to be ranked No. 11.”
The Demon Deacons earned straight-set wins on courts 1, 3 and 5 to close out the match. Rubin, ranked 13th in the nation, started the ball rolling with a 6-4, 6-3 defeat of Eubanks at the top spot. Skander Mansouri made is 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Rakitt on court 3, and Christian Seraphim finished it with a 6-1, 7-6 victory over Cole Fiegel.
NOTABLE: Georgia Tech has reached the semifinals five times under head coach Kenny Thorne … Tech has reached the championship match only twice in the tournament’s current format, losing 4-1 to Duke in 1994 and 4-3 to North Carolina in 2002 … Wake Forest will face top-seeded Virginia, which defeated North Carolina, 4-0, in Sunday’s championship match … The NCAA will announce the participants in the 64-team NCAA Men’s Championship April 28.
#11 Wake Forest 4, #55 Georgia Tech 0
Apr 25, 2015 at Cary, N.C. (Cary Tennis Park)
1. #13 Noah Rubin (WF) def. #61 Christopher Eubanks (GT) 6-4, 6-3
2. #15 Romain Bogaerts (WF) vs. Carlos Benito (GT) 6-2, 5-5, unfinished
3. Skander Mansouri (WF) def. Nathan Rakitt (GT) 6-4, 6-2
4. #91 Jon Ho (WF) vs. Michael Kay (GT) 4-6, 6-3, 1-1, unfinished
5. Christian Seraphim (WF) def. Cole Fiegel (GT) 6-1, 7-6 (7-0)
6. Keivon Tabrizi (WF) vs. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-2, 2-5, unfinished
1. #11 Skander Mansouri/Christian Seraphim (WF) vs. #87 Carlos Benito/Eduardo Segura (GT) 3-5, unfinished
2. Noah Rubin/Jon Ho (WF) def. Christopher Eubanks/Michael Kay (GT) 8-2
3. Keivon Tabrizi/Romain Bogaerts (WF) def. Cole Fiegel/Nathan Rakitt (GT) 8-1
Georgia Tech 14-12; National ranking #55
Wake Forest 22-6; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,3,5)
Semifinals of the ACC Tournament
Doubles played outdoors at Cary Tennis Park
Singles played indoors at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center in Chapel Hill, N.C.