April 17, 2015
THE FLATS — Nathan Rakitt and Cole Fiegel each captured straight-set victories, but 15th-ranked North Carolina overpowered Georgia Tech in the top half of the singles lineup and took a 5-2 Atlantic Coast Conference victory Friday afternoon at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
Tech (11-11, 3-8 ACC) dropped its fifth straight conference match, and will close out its regular season at home Sunday against No. 6 Duke. The Tar Heels (18-9, 7-4 ACC) have won four of their last five.
The Tar Heels had a pair of top-25 players competing at the top two positions in singles. No. 14 Brayden Schnur defeated No. 62 Christopher Eubanks, 6-1, 6-4, on court 1, while No. 24 Robbie Schnieder eased past Carlos Benito, 6-2, 6-0, on court 2. Those wins came quickly after the Tar Heels won the doubles point and staked UNC to a 3-0 lead.
“They played really well at the top of the lineup,” said Tech coach Kenny Thorne. “I felt like we could’ve matched them a little better, but they took it to us in both matches right away. We had some good success down low, but couldn’t fight back enough in the top half of the lineup. We need to re-focus and get ready for Duke on Sunday.”
Rakitt and Fiegel helped the Jackets battle back with straight-set wins on courts 4 and 6. Rakitt snapped a personal seven-match skid with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Jack Murray, then Fiegel closed the gap to 3-2 with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Stuart DePaolo.
Robert Kelly, ranked No. 108, followed with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Eduardo Segura for the clinching point on court 5. Brett Clark, ranked 40th, overcame a first-set loss to defeat Michael Kay, 3-6, 6-0, 6-1, on court 3.
In doubles, Schnur and Hess-Olesen came rallied from a 5-4 deficit to defeat Eubanks and Michael Kay on court 1, 8-6, and the Tar Heels took the point when Clark and Kelly closed out Fiegel and Rakitt on court 2, 8-4. Carlos Benito and Casey Kay trailed 7-6 on court 3 at that point to Murray and Schnieder, and the match was left unfinished.
Tech concludes its regular season at 12 noon Sunday against 6th-ranked Duke at the Byers Tennis Complex.
#15 North Carolina 5, Georgia Tech 2
Apr 17, 2015 at Atlanta, Ga. (Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
- #14 Brayden Schnur (NC) def. #62 Christopher Eubanks (GT) 6-1, 6-4
- #24 Ronnie Schneider (NC) def. Carlos Benito (GT) 6-2, 6-0
- #65 Brett Clark (NC) def. Michael Kay (GT) 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
- Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Jack Murray (NC) 6-3, 6-0
- #108 Robert Kelly (NC) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 7-5, 6-3
- Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Stuart DePaolo (NC) 6-3, 6-2
- Esben Hess-Olesen/Brayden Schnur (NC) def. Christopher Eubanks/Michael Kay (GT) 8-6
- #40 Brett Clark/Robert Kelly (NC) def. Cole Fiegel/Nathan Rakitt (GT) 8-4
- Carlos Benito/Casey Kay (GT) vs. Jack Murray/Ronnie Schneider (NC) 6-7, unfinished
North Carolina 18-9, 7-4 ACC; National ranking #15
Georgia Tech 11-11, 3-8 ACC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,1,4,6,5,3)