Jan. 31, 2015
THE FLATS – Georgia Tech swept all three doubles matches and won all six singles matches as the 72nd-ranked Yellow Jackets shut out The Citadel, 7-0, and completed a double-header sweep Sunday at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
Tech, which had beaten East Tennessee State, 6-1, earlier in the day, improved to 5-0 for the spring, while the Bulldogs fell to 1-5.
The Yellow Jackets began the dual match with a 3-0 sweep in doubles, as the freshmen duo of Elijah Melendez and Daniel Yun rolled past Jackson Pride and Connor Grady, 6-0. At the No. 1 spot, junior Carlos Benito and senior Eduardo Segura clinched with a 6-2 win over Peter Bleach and Nick Bradley. Christopher Eubanks and Michael Kay completed the sweep as they defeated Oliver Dedding and Artemie Amari, 6-3, on court 2.
Kay, a freshmen from Alpharetta, Ga., earned the clinching point for Tech with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over The Citadel’s Oliver Dedding. Junior Nathan Rakitt, ranked 49th in the nation, made it 5-0 after he downed Peter Bleach, 6-3, 6-0, at the No. 1 position.
The only match that went three sets was on court 4, where sophomore Cole Fiegel outlasted the Bulldogs’ Nick Bradley, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4. Freshmen Elijah Melendez finished off Jackson Pride, 7-6, 6-3, to complete the sweep for Tech.
The Yellow Jackets are back in action next Friday, Feb. 6, for a 5 p.m. dual match against 7th-ranked Georgia at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
#72 Georgia Tech 7, ETSU 0
Jan 31, 2015 at Atlanta, Ga. (Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
1. #49 Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Peter Bleach (CIT) 6-3, 6-0
2. Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. Artemie Amari (CIT) 6-3, 6-1
3. Michael Kay (GT) def. Oliver Dedding (CIT) 6-3, 6-0
4. Cole Fiegel (GT) def. Nick Bradley (CIT) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
5. Elijah Melendez (GT) def. Jackson Pride (CIT) 7-6, 6-3
6. Daniel Yun (GT) def. Ryan Templet (CIT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Carlos Benito/Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Peter Bleach/Nick Bradley (CIT) 6-2
2. Christopher Eubanks/Michael Kay (GT) def. Oliver Dedding/Artemie Amari (CIT) 6-3
3. Elijah Melendez/Daniel Yun (GT) def. Jackson Pride/Connor Grady (CIT) 6-0
The Citadel 1-4; Georgia Tech 4-0 (National ranking #72)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,2,3,1,4,5)
Match played indoors