April 9, 2013
If you are a former scholarship Georgia Tech student-athlete and have not completed your undergraduate degree, we might be able to help. Student-athletes seeking aid beyond the 5th year from their matriculation term (term when you started college) may be eligible to receive additional aid towards tuition/fees/books.
Degree Completion aid is intended for former student-athletes who left Georgia Tech in good standing prior to graduating, have made considerable progress towards their degree (typically 36 hours or less from graduating), and were on GTAA financial aid previously. This aid must be approved by the GTAA at least one month prior to term start date (by Program Administrator and Head Coach). This aid is available on a reimbursement basis only. This means the student is responsible for all upfront payment with the Institute. GTAA will reimburse the student only tuition/fees/books for degree applicable classes where the student completes the class with a grade of “C” or higher. In general, aid dollar amount is based on the average GTAA aid (in dollars) received during their previous years of enrollment at Georgia Tech. However, the total award will not exceed the current cost of tuition/fees/books. Room and board costs are not included in Degree Completion Aid. Students receiving Degree Completion Aid are required to work for the GTAA to receive such aid. You must perform satisfactorily each semester (school AND work) to receive your aid for current and subsequent semesters.
If tuition aid is not an option for you, former athletes are still eligible for academic services such as degree and class schedule planning help, access to the Athletic Association’s facilities and tutors**, including the new computer lab and study hall rooms.
Below is a list of GT Letterwinners that have recently been a part of the degree completion program:
Out two or more consecutive terms? A student who for any reason has remained out of school for two or more consecutive terms, must apply for readmission through the Institute. Read the “Georgia Tech Readmission Policy”. Full policy and additional details can be found at registrar.gatech.edu/students/readmission.php.
Application deadlines: (subject to change by Institute)
- Spring – December 1st
- Summer – April 1st
- Fall – July 1st
All students requesting GTAA aid must apply and be approved for “reimbursement” aid by the GTAA at least one month prior to enrollment. Additional GTAA aid requirements include:
- Comply with all NCAA and ACC rules.
- Follow all Georgia Tech academic policies.
- Attend all scheduled classes.
- Forfeit reimbursement of all payments if he/she withdraws from school.
- Forfeit reimbursement of corresponding payments if he/she fails a class.
- Enroll in courses that are applicable to his/her degree; otherwise, must have prior approval from the Degree Completion Coordinator or Associate A.D. Student Services.
- Not be currently under contract with or paid by a professional sports organization.
- Have no remaining athletic eligibility.
- Perform a combination of work-study and outreach duties, totaling 10-12 hours per week, as required.
- No previous involvement in academic dishonesty or violations of Institute or GTAA policies.
All returning students are subject to these requirements.
GTAA Contacts: Doug Allvine / Assistant Director of Athletics – Special Projects / firstname.lastname@example.org / 404.894.9019
**Tutors subject to availability with other current student-athletes.