March 2, 2014
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The #19 Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (5-3, 2-1 ACC) suffered its first Atlantic Coach Conference loss of the season, falling to #20 Miami, 7-0, at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
“We were outplayed by a Miami team that played well at home,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “We have a lot of work to do before we play Wake Forest on Friday.”
Tech lost the doubles point for the third time this season, starting off the match in a 1-0 hole. On court one, the #3-ranked pair of Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey lost only their second doubles match this season, falling to #48 Kelsey Laurente and Melissa Bolivar, 8-4.
In her first match playing at the number one spot, Proknehvska fell to #40-ranked Laurente, 6-2, 6-2. On court four, freshman Rasheeda McAdoo also fell in straight-sets to Riobueno, 6-2, 6-1. Miami clinched the match on court three after Lina Lileikite defeated Kurey, 6-2, 6-2.
At the number two spot, #124 Kendal Woodard was edged in set one, 7-6, by #71 Stephanie Wagner. Wagner took set two, 6-2, to put the Hurricanes ahead, 5-0. After falling in set one to Bolivar, 6-1, Wacker came back to win set three, 6-3. Wacker then fell in the tiebreaker to Bolivar, 12-10.
On court five, Anton-Ohlmeyer suffered a 6-3 loss to Albuquerque. Anton-Ohlmeyer bounced back, winning set two 6-3. In a hard-fought third match, Albuqueque prevailed, 6-7.
Next up, the Jackets return home to the Ken Byers Tennis Complex to host Wake Forest on March 7 at 3 p.m.
#20 Miami 7, #19 Georgia Tech 0
1. #40 Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-2, 6-2
2. #71 Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. #124 Kendal Woodard (GT) 7-6, 6-2
3. Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Megan Kurey (GT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 6-2, 6-1
5. Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6
6. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Muriel Wacker (GT) 6-1, 3-6, 12-10
1. #48 Kelsey Laurente/Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. #3 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) 8-4
2. #24 Clementina Riobueno/Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. #49 Muriel Wacker/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 8-6
3. Rasheeda McAdoo/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Stephanie Wagner/Brittany Dubins (UM) 7-4
Georgia Tech 5-2; National ranking #19
Miami 7-2; National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,4,3,2,6,5)