Feb. 15, 2015
THE FLATS –The #19-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team (3-2) captured a 5-2 victory against #31 Tennessee (6-3) Sunday afternoon at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
“It was a bit of battle today against Tennessee,” head coach Rodney Harmon said. “We came out and I thought we played well in the doubles. We played well in spots in singles as well. We were able to get momentum and get up 3-0. Then it got tight in the other matches. But Paige [Hourigan] was able to get across the finish line for us and win.”
During doubles play, Kurey and Hourigan cruised to a 6-2 victory on court two over Victoria Olivarez and Joanna Henderson. Junior Kendal Woodard and freshmen Johnnise Renaud were quick to finish next, defeating Tennessee’s 30th-ranked pairing of Laurence Guevremont and Eve Repic, 6-3, on court one to give the Jackets a 1-0 advantage.
On court three, the battle between the Yellow Jackets’ Natasha Prokhnevska and Rasheeda McAdoo and the Lady Vols’ Tiffany Tavares and Ashlee Boles went unfinished after the Jackets captured two doubles victories to win the first point of the match.
A singles win by sophomore Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer on court six gave the Jackets a quick 2-0 lead. Anton-Ohlmeyer defeated Ashlee Boles in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1. On court five, Kurey took down Tiffany Tavares in two quick sets, 6-3, 6-3, giving Tech a 3-0 lead in the match.
On court four, McAdoo fell to Laurence Guevremont, 4-6, 4-6, giving the Lady Vols’ their first point in the match.
All three of the remaining singles matches went to third sets.
The #68th ranked Renaud suffered a 5-7, 6-4, 2-6 loss on court two to Eve Repic. But moments later, Paige Hourigan, ranked 54th in the nation, clinched the match for the Yellow Jackets with a win against Joanna Henderson on court one. With a close first set tied at 6-6 against Henderson, Hourigan won the tiebreaker (7-3) to win the first set, 7-6. Henderson bounced back to win the second set, 6-3, but Hourigan pulled away to win set three, 6-1, and gave the Yellow Jackets their third victory of the season.
Natasha Prokhnevska won the longest singles match of the day, finishing off Victoria Olivarez, 6-4, 6-7(7-9), 6-3, on court three.
The Jackets return to action next Saturday, as they travel to Athens, Ga. to face #3 Georgia at 12:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Tennessee vs Georgia Tech
Feb 15, 2015 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#19 Georgia Tech 5, #31 Tennessee 2
1. #54 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. Joanna Henderson (UT-W) 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-1
2. Eve Repic (UT-W) def. #68 Johnnise Renaud (GT) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Victoria Olivarez (UT-W) 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 6-3
4. Laurence Guevremont (UT-W) def. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 6-4, 6-4
5. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Tiffany Tavares (UT-W) 6-3, 6-3
6. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Ashlee Boles (UT-W) 6-3, 6-1
1. Kendal Woodard/Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. #30 Laurence Guevremont/Eve Repic (UT-W) 6-3
2. Paige Hourigan/Megan Kurey (GT) def. Joanna Henderson/Victoria Olivarez (UT-W) 6-2
3. Tiffany Tavares/Ashlee Boles (UT-W) vs. Rasheeda McAdoo/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) no result
Tennessee 6-3; National ranking #31
Georgia Tech 3-2; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,5,4,2,1,3)
Match played indoors