April 18, 2010
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Georgia Tech Women’s Tennis team (14-9, 5-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) closed out its regular season with a 7-0 win over Virginia Tech (10-12, 2-9) Sunday at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
“We did a nice job of executing today,” head coach Bryan Shelton said. “Finding the balance of applying pressure and playing consistently is something we are emphasizing. Now we need to get ready for the ACC Tournament.”
The Yellow Jackets opened the day by taking two of the three doubles matches to take an early 1-0 lead on the Hokies.
Georgia Tech would clinch the match behind straight set victories by sophomore Irina Falconi, sophomore Lynn Blau and Freshman Elizabeth Kilborn at the No. 1, 4 and 5 positions in the lineup. Falconi closed out the ACC slate with a perfect 10-0 record against conference opponents.
Tech returns to action on Thursday at the ACC Championship in Cary, N.C. The Yellow Jackets opponent and match time will be announced on Monday. Complete information about the ACC Men’s and Women’s Championship is available at theacc.com.
No. 25 Georgia Tech 7, Virginia Tech 0
1. #1 Irina Falconi (GT) def. Yasmin Hamza (VT) 6-3, 6-4
2 Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (8-8 ret. inj.)
3. Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. Martha Blakeley (VT) 4-6, 6- 1, 1-0 (4)
4. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Emily Lauten (VT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-1, 6-4
6. Hillary Davis (GT) def. Holly Johnson (VT) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (4)
1. Falconi/Krupina (GT) def. Hamza/Johnson (VT) 8-3
2. Betts/Blakeley (VT) def. Blau/Davis (GT) 8-2
3. Kilborn/Ngo (GT) def. Lauten/Rauscher (VT) 8-0