ATLANTA (April 7) – The 37th-ranked Georgia Tech women’s tennis team fell 6-1 to the Florida State Seminoles April 7 at Bill Moore Tennis Center.
FSU swept doubles to claim the first point of the day, and then took the first five singles matches before Georgia Tech junior Laura Ozolins claimed the Yellow Jackets’ lone point, defeating FSU senior Marina Raid, 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (5) at No. 6 in the final match of the day.
Florida State junior Alida Gallovits and freshman Samantha Schoeffel cruised to two-set victories at No. 1 singles over Georgia Tech’s Debbie Reynolds and Jaime Wong, respectively. Seminole senior Nanette Duxin battled with Tech freshman Kristen Roberson and pulled out a 7-6 win in the first set and then rolled to a 6-1 victory in the second set to claim the victory for FSU.
Georgia Tech lost two tough three-set matches. Sophomore Mysti Morris fell, 2-6, 6-4, 5-7, to Jessica Balbuena at No. 3 singles. Tech sophomore Mason Miller won her first set, defeating FSU’s Christina Denny 6-4 before dropping the final two sets, 4-6, 5-7, at No. 4 singles.
The Yellow Jackets (10-7, 3-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) travel to Clemson on April 7 for a match against the Tigers at 1:30 p.m.
Florida State 6, Georgia Tech 1
1. Alida Gallovits (FSU) def. Debbie Reynolds (GT) 6-2, 6-1
2. Samantha Schoeffel (FSU) def. Jaime Wong (GT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jessica Balbuena (FSU) def. Mysti Morris (GT) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
4. Christina Denny (FSU) def. Mason Miller (GT) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Nanette Duxin (FSU) def. Kristen Roberson (GT) 7-6, 6-1
6. Laura Ozolins (GT) def. Marina Raic (FSU) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (5)
Florida State wins point
1. Schoeffel/Balbuena (FSU) def. Bobbi Guthrie/Morris (GT) 8-2
2. Duxin/Gallovits (FSU) def. Ozolins/Wong (GT) 8-4
3. Raic/Natalie Carratala (FSU) def. M. Miller/Fallon Koon (GT) 8-4