THE FLATS — Georgia Tech women’s basketball returns home on Sunday to welcome Virginia for a 1 p.m. matchup on ACC Network Extra.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (13-8, 2-6 ACC) vs Virginia (14-7, 7-1 ACC)
Georgia Tech Game Notes | Virginia Game Notes
TV: ACC Network Extra
STARTING FIVE AGAINST VIRGINIA
1. Georgia Tech returns home for a brief stint to host Virginia in a Sunday matinee at 1 p.m. in McCamish Pavilion. The game will be available on ACC Network Extra.
2. The Jackets and Cavaliers have met 71 times in program history with Virginia leading the all-time series, 55-16. Virginia has taken the last two meetings, including last season’s by one point in overtime in Charlottesville.
3. The Jackets will look to rebound after a tough loss at Virginia Tech on Thursday and pick up their first win over the Cavaliers since 2015 on Sunday. Tech has taken four of the past six meetings.
4. Georgia Tech is led in scoring this season by Francesca Pan who is averaging 12.8 points per game. Elo Edeferioka continues to lead the Jackets on the boards, pulling down 6.5 rpg.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 15th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 287-185. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 60.9 percent.
A WIN WOULD….
-Be the first win over Virginia since Jan. 25, 2015 and snap a two-game streak the Cavaliers hold over the Jackets
-Move the all-time series against Virginia to 55-17 in favor of the Cavaliers and mark Tech’s 13th win over Virginia in Atlanta
-Mark the 288th win of Coach Joseph’s career
-Be the 663rd all-time program win in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history and move the Yellow Jackets to 663-612 overall
Georgia Tech and Virginia first met in 1979 and have faced each other 71 times since then with the Cavaliers leading the all-time series, 55-16. Virginia has taken the past two meetings against Tech and leads the series in Atlanta, 20-12. Tech last defeated Virginia on Jan. 25, 2015 in Charlottesville, 68-62. The Jackets were last victorious over the Cavaliers at home on Feb. 14, 2014, 95-76. Last season, the Cavaliers overcame a Yellow Jacket rally to force overtime and walk away with a one-point victory. Tech was led by Zaire O’Neil with a double-double as the Jackets erased a 22-point deficit, but Virginia outscored Tech 6-5 in overtime to take the win.